1998 Lexus ES 300 3.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

You will love this car

Nothing. We just bought it less than 1 week ago.

The LCD display on the radio is all distorted and the clock doesn't work.

Also the windshield washer reservoir tank is leaking.

General Comments:

Amazingly, in great condition for being an 11 year old car. We bought it for $7800 at an independent dealer and has 91,300 miles. Yes, low mileage for a '98. It has minimal wear and tear. It's a light gold color with a tan interior. It has all the options, leather, CD changer, moon roof, heated seats and the shock/ride control. Full package.

From the moment I saw this car and started the engine, I knew I had something good. (I've gotten quite good at picking out good used cars lately.) The ride is solid and free of any squeaks or rattle. It rides much better than my 97" Lincoln Mark VIII, which I bought at the same dealer. The car is for my mom and I had test driven several "newer" cars, but none felt like this well-preserved Lexus. I didn't want get out of the car. LOL!

It's not perfect, but the overall quality and how well it drives, makes up for any cosmetic and minor flaws. It feels like butter. It's very smooth and refined for a "entry level" luxury sedan, even after a decade. The power and refinement of the engine surprised me as well. This thing is responsive! It just picks up and goes! No waiting, no harsh sounds, just smooth, instant acceleration. I love the midrange power. It picks up speed quick and imperceptibly. It feels best on the freeway. At idle, the engine doesn't just purr, it's almost silent. Its that good.

This car seems perfect for my mom and she seems to really like it. It also handles well and brakes good. I read a lot of reviews where they praised the quality and reliability of this car, but criticized it for not having enough personality. For some people, that's all they need. They don't need the sportiness, flash or fun to drive factor.

I'm a sports car and muscle car guy and I would drive this Lexus all day, every day. I think it has plenty of personality. To anyone looking to purchase one of these used (1997-2001), I recommend you test drive one in good condition and see for yourself. These cars are built to last. Definitely well worth your investment. Now I just wish my mom would hand over the keys.

Review Date: 7th July, 2009

1998 Lexus ES 300 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Love the luxury!

Very little. I am just waiting for it to happen.

General Comments:

Bought it for $5,000 from my father-in-law as he was getting a new Lexus. Knew it was used and had a ton of miles but considered the Camry engine and thought I might be able to get a year or two of luxury driving out of it.

Well, one year down and I love it! Wish I had it when it was off the manufacturing line.

One negative that stands out is the cup holder. Simply put: it sucks. If you take a semi-sharp turn, the drink in the holder tumbles out easily.

I also don't understand why the sunroof opens with one push of a button but does not close without holding the button down.

Review Date: 9th September, 2008

10th Oct 2010, 07:40

The delay in closing the sunroof is an anti-pinch device. The roof closes about halfway, then stops, allowing the operator to make sure nothing is in the way of closing the roof all the way. It's a safety delay that all autos should have.

1998 Lexus ES 300 3.0L V6 from North America

Summary:

Wonderful luxury sedan

Only problem I've had: SRS Light started flashing at me - fixed for free at dealership.

General Comments:

The interior is the star of this car. Power/Heated/Memory leather seats are extremely comfortable. Tons of leg room in the front - very ample in the rear. Even with 141k miles, there's not so much as a worn spot in any of the seats.

It's not the quickest car on the road, but it has plenty of power when necessary. As a luxury sedan, you can't expect a ton in that department.

It doesn't get the greatest gas mileage - 20 mpg in the winter and 25 in the summer - mix of city and highway.

It runs through the snow like it's on chains, which is very important for a Minnesota car.

VERY good sound system. 6 speakers and a stock sub-woofer really make this car pound if you want it to.

It's got a huge trunk - I've fit 4 golf bags in it. The first aid kit that comes with every Lexus is a nice touch too.

Overall, I'm very happy with my ES300. It's the first car that I've bought and it definitely won't be my last Lexus. In fact, after the incredible service I got at the dealership when I brought it in for the SRS light (free food/drink, great people, etc) and the incredible quality of the car, I really can't find a reason to go with another make.

Review Date: 16th June, 2008