1992 Lexus LS Reviews - Page 3 of 6

1992 Lexus LS 400 V8 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission V8 Automatic
Previous carToyota Supra

Summary:

The best value in the used-car market.

I've had the usual '92 LS400 problems: Temp/Clock display is out, A/C died at about 200k, and Power Steering leak.

Have not repaired A/C yet...we'll see how hot this summer gets. Temp/Clock display will probably never be fixed.

Car was well maintained by first owner and that has helped. First owner was religious about Oil Changes, and general maintenance.

Just started developing a Noise and Vibration that I haven't isolated yet, but it sounds/feels like something in the drive train.???

General Comments:

This is one of the greatest cars ever manufactured. A perfect balance of performance and comfort. Very composed.

The build-quality, durability, and reliability are quite simply beyond belief.

I purchased my '92 LS400 in 1999 for $12,500. It had 150,000 miles on it and everyone said I was crazy to buy a car with mileage that high. 5 years and 75,000 miles later the car looks new, it feels new, and outperforms most new cars.

I'm taking this beast to 300k and smiling the whole way.

Review Date: 25th February, 2004

18th Apr 2004, 14:31

The Lexus ls 400 is the best car I have ever had. I am a very wealthy person (not my own choice) actually hate being able to buy whatever I want... But the Lexus is the best car I ever bought. I also love the Bentley Mulsanne. Buy one.

Paul. made some money. who cares.

First year of ownership1996
Engine and transmission Don't Know

Summary:

Best Buy in a luxury car $ can buy!

LCD screen showing heat temp is not working, plus 2 icons stay lit up (which is a $500.00 repair), but it doesn't affect the car in any way so I just live with them.

General Comments:

Hands down, the best car I have ever owned. Just tried out the newer 2000 Mercedes S-430, My 1992LS is quieter than the Mercedes.

Review Date: 7th December, 2003

First year of ownership1999

Summary:

An experience every luxury car lover should have

CD Changer @ 130000 miles - not fixed. Will get a used one for about $200.

Temp and clock display @ 135000 - not fixed.

Alternator @ 120000 - Rebuilt with $250 with 2 year warranty.

General Comments:

Every car I've driven pales in comparison. Just bought a Mercedes ML430 but just can't get rid of my LS400. The novelty wore off on the Mercedes after 3 weeks and I'm primarily driving the LS400 again.

Review Date: 23rd July, 2003

First year of ownership1995
Most recent distance262000 miles
Previous carMercedes-Benz Mercedes-Benz 300D T

Summary:

Best automobile built... if you can't afford a new one just buy it used

Not a thing from when I got the car until a few months ago at about 250,000 when just after a major service (which included the timing belt) and cost $2100) did the water pump freeze up on a trip and blew the timing belt... road call and another $1500 to get running, but outside of a battery at about 220,000 and tires, brakes, etc... nothing went wrong in almost a decade... it still rides like a dream and I can't believe it still doesn't need shocks (though I ride mostly highways)... undoubtedly the quietest ride on the road.. just awesome...

General Comments:

The car turns on a dime, anyone who drives it can't believe the sharp turning radius.

I need to think about a new car, but the new ones LS430 cost a bloody fortune... $55,000.. whew! I got mine used with 60,000 for $25,500 when it probably cost about $45,000 new... anyway, I haven't found any car that compares to it... it just rides soft, smooth and so quiet with still a lot of power to pull out on a highway... Mercedes, BMW, Infiniti all want their customers to 'feel' the drive and excitement... not Lexus, it's like sitting in your living room couch.. just wonderful... even the leather is still in grand shape after 11 years.

Review Date: 30th January, 2003

16th Feb 2004, 19:28

Thanks for the comments about your 1992 Lexus LS400. I'm considering buying a '92 LS400 with about 147,000 miles from a private owner, and was kind of worried about the miles. I took the car for a test drive, and practically fell in love. The car is in excellent condition. Your review maybe has really sold the vehicle.