1995 Lexus LS Reviews

First year of ownership2013
Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission 4.0 V8 petrol Automatic
Previous carLexus LS

Summary:

None finer

Fuse blown due to a loose cigarette lighter.

General Comments:

I was very happy with my two previous LS400s, both Mk 2s, but I saw this immaculate low mileage Mk 3 and bought it the same day - for what you get it is so cheap.

I have owned some nice cars (Rolls Royce - a bit flash, and over complicated; Jaguar - mobile fluid leak; Bristol - over-rated and noisy; Mercedes - reliable but rust prone.) but the LS400 combines the best characteristics of all of them - quieter than any, fast enough, comfortable and roomy, smooth ride, but most importantly everything always works, and given good servicing and regular use, goes on working.

I've seen some say that the handling is not to sports car standards, but to me the car feels safe and stable, and I don't like making my passengers ill by hurling them about on corners.

In my 40 years of driving, this is the best car I have owned; only my Volvo 760 estate that I have owned for 13 years rivals it as a good buy.

Review Date: 24th August, 2013

1995 Lexus LS 400 4.0 V8 from Australia and New Zealand

Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 4.0 V8 Automatic
Previous carBMW 5 Series

Summary:

Overall a great car. Just be mindful of the faults mentioned if you are considering buying one

The car stalls when stopping at an intersection or stop sign while driving on the open road. Seems to be a common fault with the '95/'96 model.

Has slow idle at all times, once the engine is at normal operating temp (400 RPM or slower).

Stereo lost illumination at night. The problem was there when I purchased the car, and have had to fix it two times since (dry solder joints).

Front suspension upper control arm bushes worn (knock from front end going over bumps). Cannot buy bushes on their own; they're only sold as complete arm $$$!

Diff mount bushes also needed to be replaced.

Sun roof drain hose came apart and would leak water down the "A" pillar and on to the floor when it rained. Easily fixed, but you need to drop the head liner to reattach the hose.

General Comments:

I am disappointed at the wear of suspension components at a reasonably low mileage. Issue first started around 100000km.

The car is comfortable and very quiet to ride in.

Will do 150mph stock standard! (Checked on YouTube)

There is a lot of leg room for rear seat passengers; I never have to move my seat forward.

All the room in the cabin, and the position of the fuel tank behind the rear seat, makes for a small boot (trunk).

I do love this car, despite its faults, and would like to upgrade to the LS430.

Review Date: 30th July, 2012

27th Oct 2012, 02:41

I have a 1995 LS400. If you get your mechanic to adjust the idling speed upward, the stalling problem will disappear.

My LS400 stalled turning a corner after slowing down to around 5 km/h after a 100 km drive on the day I bought it. Kept happening until I took it to the mechanic, but once he tweaked the idling speed, no further problems.

1995 Lexus LS 400 4.0 litre V8 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 4.0 litre V8 petrol Automatic
Previous carSuzuki Grand Vitara

Summary:

Superb, reliable, luxury vehicle

Recurrent problem when slowing down for tight cornering; the engine stalls.

Doesn't happen every time, but can stall pulling up to a stop sign, and it's annoying.

Otherwise utterly reliable.

General Comments:

I bought this car from a private vendor last year for $7250. It needed about $800 worth of panel beating, but the result was a beautiful and luxurious vehicle that I now take on a two-way 170 km journey each week, plus driving around town.

It is an ex-Singapore second-hand import.

The handling is not brilliant, but then again it's not a sports car. Power is more than adequate. Very quiet engine, road noise a bit intrusive, but my mechanic (I don't use the local Toyota dealership) says changing the tires will improve this significantly.

There is some wind noise, which I understand is common if the windscreen has had to be replaced.

Back seat leg room is amazing - best I've ever seen in a sedan - and though this comes at the expense of boot space, how often does one need all the boot space?

Sound system very good, and handy having the 6 disc changer in front of the passenger seat.

Not expensive to maintain; as I said earlier, I use a mechanic who loves Toyotas - when I first showed him the Lexus, he said "At last you've bought a real car."

Styling is a little dated, but hell, who cares - this is a classic.

I'm taking the vehicle in next week to get the fault I mentioned above fixed (hopefully). I hear electrical problems in these vehicles can be expensive.

I get up to 730 km from 70 litres, so good economy for a V8.

I realised my dream of owning a Lexus before age 50 (just!), and would recommend doing this to anyone. Used ones are incredible value for money. The 1UZ-FE V8 engines are legendary for reliability and quietness.

The person who sold me the vehicle had upgraded to a LS430, and I would probably do the same. His parents also owned a Lexus each.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Review Date: 26th August, 2011

6th Sep 2011, 15:42

The stalling problem you describe is very common in the 95/96 model, my 95 does the same thing. People have suggested that Lexus knows about the problem, but doesn't want to know, and that it may be an ECU problem. I have searched and searched the Internet, but cannot find a confirmed solution to this problem. It is so common with the 95/96 model, I don't see how Lexus cannot accept that it is a manufacturing fault and issue a recall. I have had my car stall, losing brakes and steering when coming up to a right angle corner with a large drop on the side. This is a safety issue.