1999 Lexus LS 400 4.0 V8 from Switzerland

Summary:

Please let me know by email at hthuta@hotmail.com or by a comment under this review

I just tested the car today and hesitating whether if it's a wise choice. When I first got in the car, the temperage gauge was hopping as if there was a shock or something... it stopped a few minutes later!!

General Comments:

It's extremely smooth... comparing to the BM 7 series that I had before... I couldn't even feel the V8 running under the hood.. acceleration is less violent than in the BM.. that's the point that I loved the most in the 7 series... but to be realistic... what would we do with that much acceleration while traffic lights and speed radars are placed every half a Mile...

It's a 99 and has 60000 miles... the Lexus dealer sells it for 17000$ without warranty and 19000$ with one year limited warranty (engine, transmission, pumps and electronics only)... but what I've been wondering was... does an one year warranty worth 2000$?? Is a car of this quality probable to have reparations of this price at this mileage???

I would really appreciate if anyone could give me some advice on this car!!! Thank you very much for your attention!!!

Review Date: 5th December, 2006

29th Jul 2007, 14:04

I've got a 99 LS fully loaded with navi; that's a good price. You should consider buying one. My 99 has 81000 and runs like a clock. I haven't tuned it yet, and have only owned it for 16 months. It was bought with 70000 miles, and I paid $16000.

1999 Lexus LS 400 4.0 V8 from North America

Summary:

A great luxury sedan for anybody

The Sending Unit went bad on the temperature gage.

The right taillight went out.

General Comments:

This is a great, reliable, and comfortable luxury sedan. The wood trim feels cheap in some places.

Review Date: 17th April, 2005

23rd Mar 2008, 21:50

My 1999 LS400 is a superb vehicle in every respect. It has 296 hp., 300 lb. ft. of torque, 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, and a top speed of 155 mph. The interior is fabulous. The steering wheel, alone, takes 3 weeks, by hand, to make. The walnut is real. The side and rear view look like a 5 series M-B or a 7 series BMW. I will keep it forever. In the winter, it rests in our heated garage. To drive it feels like riding in first class leather. The LS 430 and 460 models are plain vanilla in appearance. My '99 has a classic appearance. I'll never trade it.

23rd Jul 2008, 20:34

There is no doubt that the Lexus LS is a superbly engineered auto, but I dislike for a few reasons which I will list.

1.) It is an obvious forgery of a German car which is a far more noble and prestigious auto (Mercedes-Benz S-Class.) A modern upstart from the land of technology and robotics will never be able to match the craftsmanship and heritage of a European car.

2.) The styling is extremely bland and not balanced properly. A W140 S-Class or Jaguar XJ8 is styled more beautifully.

3.) The car isn't completely without fault in the area of reliability and quality. There is a Technical Service Bulletin for some component in the front suspension. This faulty component causes it to have almost no damping over sudden, sharp imperfections in the road surface. It really is quite irritating.

4.) The trunk space is minuscule. When I drive the car on road trips, I have to carry some of my luggage in the cabin area.

5.) The interior quality is a far cry from excellent. The handle on the center console lid is made from horribly flimsy plastics and so are the cup holders and so are the plastic areas surrounding the interior door handles. You would think that an auto that is priced at almost $60,000 would have a better interior.