2000 Lexus LS Reviews

Year of manufacture2000
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission UZ-FE 4.0 V8 Automatic
Previous carLexus LS400

Summary:

A car that screams CHEAPNESS

- Steering wheel mechanism ($2000)

- Water in the trunk ($200 to fix)

- Headlamp leveling mechanism

- Cruise control switch is wobbly

- Mirrors become discolored

- Steering wheel shakes at 60mph

- Window switch broke

- Suspension is squeaky

General Comments:

PERFORMANCE.

- Breathtaking acceleration, can run at 100mph all day!

- Tons of power and torque, no downshifting.

- 32mpg TOPS, 10mpg all city; average 23.5mpg.

- Exclusively fed on 93 octane.

RELIABILITY.

- Stopped in the highway because of an electronic sensor in the headlamp.

- GPS is great, but dealership will not update it!

- Sensitive to cold/wet weather.

- Squeaky in and out.

- Paint beginning to rust in door and trunk lips.

COMFORT & FEEL.

- Frighteningly quiet cabin.

- Best seats I've sat on so far.

- OK handling for such a large car.

- CHEAPLY MADE. Lots of plastic.

- Solid door thud is lost, compared to my '91.

- I am 6'2 and brush my head on the ceiling.

DEALER.

- OUTRAGEOUSLY overpriced, as they all are.

- Free courtesy car.

- Continuous updates, attentive service.

- Better talk to the mechanics in the dealership.

- Snotty behavior regarding older models.

RUNNING COSTS.

- VERY HIGH, even if purchased in mint condition.

- - - - - - -

I had a 1991, and I must speak about the 2000 in utter disappointment. Every single bit of fancy electronics is a liability for VERY EXPENSIVE fixes. There is way too much that can go wrong.

Build quality is also a step down from the 1991. The steel panels are thin as a Coke can, and the interior is mostly cheap plastic. The feeling of it is very cushioned, not solid. The solid thud of my '91 doors is gone.

The 2000 LS400 is not a strong car. It is moody when temperature drops or when it rains, and its suspension seems like the automotive equivalent of a ballet dancer... smooth, yet fragile. I have taken the 1991 through unpaved roads without hesitation, the 2000 seems brittle by comparison.

In short, if you are considering this car and want the best of the best Lexus has to offer, get yourself a 1994 or earlier. That was the time in which Lexus did make an effort to compete with Mercedes in build quality and reliability. If you want the ABSOLUTE best of the best in luxury sedans, then forget about Lexus and get yourself a nice W126 or a W140; those cars are true rocks. If you still want something like the Lexus within a reasonable maintenance budget, shoot for a Mercedes 300SD / 300SDL diesel. Parts are plenty, available and reasonably priced, even more so in junkyards. You will not be disappointed. It will be ten times the amount of car you paid for, and will last as long as you maintain it properly.

Review Date: 6th November, 2010

7th Nov 2010, 22:23

Thanks for the good review. I agree that the early 90's Lexus was of better quality, as was the Infinity. Build quality has gone down for sure, and is par with domestic build quality at best. I completely agree, buying an older car is almost better these days, because they are way cheaper to fix if they break down.

2000 Lexus LS 400 Platinum Edition 4.0 Liter V8, from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Engine and transmission 4.0 Liter V8, Automatic
Most recent distance42000 miles
Previous carLincoln Continental

Summary:

Everything a Mercedes, BMW, or Audi luxury car is and more, for much much less

Absolutely nothing has gone wrong yet.

General Comments:

This is my second LS400, my first was a 96'. Back in 95' I was looking for a luxury car, and really wasn't interested in a Japanese car. I had owned Japanese cars before like an 88' Supra and a Celica, which by the way were great cars, but I really didn't think that Toyota/Lexus could make a good luxury car. I was dead wrong.

At the time, I was looking at Audi A8's, BMW 740's, and Mercedes. Then, a friend of mine told me to just take a look at the LS400. I have been thanking him ever since. After taking a test drive and seeing the low price tag on the car (compared to its German competition) I was sold. At first I had ill feelings toward the Lexus. I thought that a car of this quality at such a low price must have a downside. Again I was wrong and still can't find a downside. I put 100,000 miles on the car, sold it to my brother who put 80,000 more miles and the thing just won't die. He still has it, and says that the engine still runs silently at idle, and has the same beefy pickup it always had. I'm not talking about 180,000 easy miles either. My brother and I both drive hard in stop and go traffic all day, everyday, through the bitter cold Chicago winters and hellishly hot and humid summers.

Now are you ready for the best part? I wasn't even talking about the 2001 LS400 in the above paragraph. I was talking about the 96', and the 2001 is even better than the 96'. I have put 42,000 miles on my 2001 and plan keep it a while longer.

The ride is soft and cushy. The Nakamichi sound system is spectacular, the wood trim on the shifter, dash, doors, and steering wheel is beautiful. The 5 speed automatic gearbox is smooth yet quick, the engine is potent and delivers all 290hp directly. At redline, the all aluminum engine grunts a musical note out of its twin stainless steel pipes. The leather is so soft, it makes you want to sit naked in it, although I don't recommend this outside of your own driveway. Highway gas mileage is great- 32 mpg.

The only thing I can think of offhand that subtracts from the car is that the brakes have a loose feel. Don't get me wrong, they are still good brakes and Lexus traction control and ABS has saved me many an accident, the brakes still feel a little loose.

The fact is, these LS400s are really remarkable and reliable cars, and to anyone who in the past has overlooked Lexus as a company to buy from, I say look again and see the light. Just give them a try, you won't be disappointed.

Review Date: 19th August, 2003

29th Jun 2013, 10:16

It's disappointing to read of your Lexus experience. One wonders what kind of a vehicle history your car had before you acquired it. Some of it sounds like flood damage. My company used to purchase new MBs for me, and often from day one, they had multiple problems, spending days in the shop. I asked a MB tech's advice when I was shopping for a car of my own, and it was he who whispered "Lexus" in my ear! That was a long time ago, and I still have the same 1998 LS400. Everything works and works well. I do minor service (oil, brakes, etc.) myself, sometimes with the help of the Owners' Forum. Like you, I avoid the dealer like the plague. The "service managers" know very little about the vehicles, and I've heard them make recommendations to customers that are just plain wrong. In my opinion, their charges are outrageous. I strongly suspect even worse behavior on their part, but since I can't absolutely prove it, I can't comment here. Talking with friends, my experiences with them certainly aren't unique.

Most good independents can handle virtually all service requirements, and the Owners' Forum is populated by well-informed people who can often help with the odd problem.

As for my own car, having driven most of the German brands, Jag., several Bentleys, etc. I hope never to part with my LS400!