1992 Lexus SC 400 V8 from North America

Summary:

I love the car. I have been privileged to own it

The exterior is in excellent shape. There are a few bruises, but they are minor. The exterior is Lexus red and the interior is light tan leather.

The car is clean; it has been garaged its whole life. It is a sexy car. The car was originally GREG NORMAN's car, but I have owned it since 1994. It is a fully loaded car.

The engine works fine, but it has several leaks.

The electrical system needs a new oxygen sensor.

The seat track does not move, so the seat is set for a 5'6'-5'-10" person.

The brakes were recently done, and the tires are new and the main belt was recently changed. The car was just inspected.

The air conditioner is fairly new and the radiator has also been replaced.

The engine was overhauled 5 years ago.

It is a great car for the right person. This is a good car for someone that enjoys working on a car, and wants a project..

General Comments:

This car is a joy to drive. Engine is reliable.

When you are inside the car, the interior is beautiful and timeless.

I think one day it will be a classic.

Review Date: 10th March, 2010

1992 Lexus SC 400 from North America

Summary:

Best car I ever owned

General Comments:

This car still has style after 17 years. Only one brake job and one tuneup in 100,000 miles.

Review Date: 21st December, 2009

1992 Lexus SC 400 4.0 from North America

Summary:

Fast and comfortable

The alternator went at 135,000 miles; cost $400.

Change front and back brakes at 140,000.

Power steering pump leaks at 137,000; not changed yet.

Passenger seat motor was bad when I got the car.

New paint job on the car at 140,000; cost $2000.

Water pump and timing belt went bad at 144,000; water pump $200, belt was $80, $500 to put on.

Change spark plugs and wires at 138,000; one the wire rip so have to change them again.

General Comments:

The car is very fast. Only thing I don't like is that it takes off slower than other V8s, but will smoke one on the highway. Love the power button and it has great handling.

Also put 20 inch rims on it and the ride is still good, and it has not lost any power with the wheels on it.

Overall this a great car. The parts are just expensive. Wanted one since I was 19; got one five years later. This is the best car that I have had, and I've had 9 cars.

Review Date: 4th April, 2008

1992 Lexus SC 300 3.0 liter 6 in-line gasoline from North America

Summary:

Best car I ever owned

Speedometer and tachometer needle illumination stopped working. Expensive to repair.

Driver's seat wears badly.

Side panel support material breaking down. Hard to repair. Expensive to replace.

CD changer door broken.

General Comments:

Responsive handling on back roads.

Reasonably comfortable for distance driving.

18 mpg around town / 24 to 27 on highway at speed limit.

Back seat behind driver useful only for children.

If maintained to factory schedules and information, will have no problems with drive train and brakes.

Review Date: 21st March, 2008

19th Oct 2009, 01:07

Had a 92 SC300 w/door panel breakdown. Superglue, aluminumstrips, caulk and a few new screws made an acceptable repair that looked reasonably good.

1992 Lexus SC 400 4.0 from North America

Summary:

The Lexus SC400 was about 10 years ahead of its time

Normal maintenance tires, battery, brakes. The only problem we have had is recently the car will be running great most of the time. You will go out to start it and it won't start. If I wait long enough it will start later that day. I have had it in the shop 4-5 times and they can't get it to do it again. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem. It is starting to become a real problem. I love the car otherwise.

General Comments:

Great looking car looks as good as any new car. I love to drive this fun comfortable car. I would suggest you buy one if you can find one at a good price. I bought this car as a second car for my wife, and she will not give it up. She has gotten rid of her Lincoln and drives it full time.

Review Date: 23rd August, 2007

27th Aug 2007, 23:32

My wife to will not give up her 92 SC400. The car was originally bought for my son back in 2004. At the time my wife was driving a 2003 Mercedes E500. My wife has put more miles on the Lexus in 3 years than she put on the Mercedes in the year she solely drove it. The Lexus was bought from the original owner with 46,000 miles. It now has 95,000 and still runs perfect. The Mercedes just sits in the garage and is only used once in a while. People ask all the time is the car is a 99-00 and are shocked to hear it's a 92. Its is in mint condition. Lexus you did well on this car.

23rd Jan 2008, 23:38

My advice, get it changed. I don't own a Lexus SC400 but I do own a lancer. The other week I was driving then all of a sudden the car died. RACQ found that the timing belt had snapped and come off, in turn bending the valves and destroying the pistons. $1,600 later, I've learned not to let a car do 170,000km without it replaced. (I assumed the car had it replaced as I bought it with 140,000km)

8th Feb 2008, 09:59

I also had this problem with my Lexus SC 400. After I retired I wouldn't use the car as much and the battery would die after I wouldn't use it for awhile. But when I went to Lexus they said you have to turn the keyless entry switch off under the steering wheel. It says in the manual that if the car is not going to be used for a long period of time you should turn this switch off. The only thing you have to remember is that when you go to open the door when it's locked, that you can't open the door by pressing the button on the key. You have to manually stick the key in the door and unlock it.

19th Mar 2008, 17:08

The 92 SC400 is the best car I've driven, even though I put 18in chrome with 245/40 on it. The power is top notch.110 mph onto the on ramp and highway is no problemmo. Handling is great and the interior is beautiful. No one thinks it's a 92. With the chrome it is a STUNNA.