A fun, attractive car with a good blend of performance and economy plus excellent value for money.
1) Two alternator failures, one (factory) at +/- 60K the second (re-man) at +/- 90K took the battery with it.
2) Interior trim deterioration. Rear seat (leather) and both interior door panels showing their age. The car is black and has spent its whole life in central CA with long spells parked outside during daylight hours so IR/UV abuse has been quite severe, but my dark blue Legend had the same treatment for 10 years and the interior held up much better. Rear seat back leather has cracked and split despite regular use of OTC preservatives. The moulded plastic interior door panels are literally crumbling to pieces, despite being completely covered (and shaded) with a mix of leather and vinyl materials. If not IR/UV related maybe some sort of age related degradation due to something in the plasticisers used?
3) Sun/heat burn-out in the LCD climate controller window. Still works OK, but mode/status icons now illegible.
4) Passenger side window lift failed at 50K. Motor OK, but plastic window carrier snapped in two.
5) Oil filter access difficult without removing plastic belly tray. I had to replace my tray after it was trashed by Jiffy-Lube "technicians"!
6) Rear shocks/struts blew out at +/- 80K. Not an easy DIY fix and very expensive at dealer.
Great 'curb appeal', it looks like its doing a 'ton' even when its parked. Could very easily become a 'classic' in years to come, particularly the early models with the front air dam & rear spoiler.
Effortless power and very smooth transmission with good ratios. A joy to drive on the open road or in commuter chaos.
Very comfortable for two adults, but back seats cramped and not much room in trunk/boot.
8 way driver seat is excellent.
18 x 8 rims with LP rubber improved the looks and handling, but made the ride a bit harsh.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 1st February, 2006