1978 Lincoln Continental Reviews - Page 4 of 4

1978 Lincoln Continental Town Coupe 7.5 Liter 460 V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1978
Engine and transmission 7.5 Liter 460 V8 Automatic
Previous carFord Crown Victoria

Summary:

Luxury and Style at its Best!

The Radiator was rusted out beyond repair when I got the car, and needed to be replaced.

Carburetor had to be partially rebuilt.

The brakes are pretty bad. I think either the master cylinder or the power booster is to blame.

Rear bumper is rusted out to basically nothing. Remaining shell is held on by rope.

Power antenna, driver seat, and air conditioning all work, but very poorly.

General Comments:

$400 is all it cost. It sat several years in the woods before I got it. The seller put in a battery, and changed a flat, and she started right up. I drove her home 160 miles without a problem.

Spacious and very comfortable cabin.

Extremely comfortable twin comfort lounge seats. Loaded to the gills, including automatic temperature control, and power moonroof.

Huge Trunk.

Powerful 7.5 Liter, 460 Cubic Inch V8, 4 Barrel Carb, Dual Exhaust makes one hell of a powerful car.

The gas mileage sucks... about 8 mpg.

But worth it.

In traffic, I almost always get the right away. Who would mess with a 19 feet, 4 inch, 5500lb car like this?

;)

Review Date: 4th January, 2003

5th Sep 2004, 00:11

1978 Continentals weigh 4660. You should fix it out if it is rusted. I hate it when people drive a Lincoln or a Cadillac that looks like trash. If you can't afford a luxury car, don't buy one, and leave it looking like garbage.

12th Jul 2006, 00:51

8mpg? Dump-trucks and cement-mixers get better than that. Your carb doesn't need to be "rebuilt"; it needs to be junked & replaced.

1978 Lincoln Continental Mark V 7.5L (460 CID) V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1978
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 7.5L (460 CID) V8 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Cavalier

Summary:

I'm just saving up my cash to get another one!

The carburetor never was quite right. It required some tweeking, but probably needed to be rebuilt.

Pitting and rust along the top of windshield.

The leather seats showed their age, but were still unbelievably comfortable.

General Comments:

I payed $700 for it from a friends father along with many spare parts and 4 extra tires.

It was an awesome car for the short time I had it. You could really feel the power of the 4 barrel carburator and one of the largest car engines ever produced.

A guaranteed head turner, the body was one of Lincolns finest designs.

The thing saved my life and my friends when I crashed it. The car was demolished in a head on and frame mangled, but we walked out without a scratch - anyone who saw the car would think it was fatal.

Review Date: 2nd September, 2002

3rd Feb 2005, 13:17

Replace your carburetor. Stock Motorcraft 4350s suck. I think it's a 4350 or 4360.

14th Jun 2005, 11:40

I bought my Mark V when I turned eighteen years old. It was the best decision I had ever made!

The one thing that had me sold was the undeniable comfort I felt the first time I sat in the car.

The engine is a real hog. With the 400, you can really feel the power, yet, you do not hear a sound. The engine is very quiet.

This is a great car to have as a young adult. It catches everyones eye as you cruise by in a car long enough to barely fit in most garages (including mine).

Owning a classic car can be stressful at times, but it is defeinitely recommended.