1979 Lincoln Continental Town Car 400M from North America

Summary:

Nice Riding Luxury Car

Nothing Yet.

Does have a little bit of rust.

The Padded vinyl Roof needs replacing.

General Comments:

Bought for $600 in November 2001.

Found receipts for $4200 in work done to car in previous five years before I bought it!

Shouldn't need anything for a while.

Everything works as it should.

Very comfortable.

Gas mileage good on the Highway, fair in town.

Review Date: 29th July, 2005

3rd Aug 2005, 17:12

Hi, Sounds like a great car as Lincoln's always are. I'm interested in your answer when asked "if you would buy another car from this manufacturer" and your answer was "NO", I thought that was an interesting response, and I was wondering why you wouldn't ?

12th Jul 2006, 00:46

He answered "no" to that question because L/F/M haven't made a remotely decent car in a decade.

1979 Lincoln Continental AHA Landau hearse 6.6L 400CID from North America

Summary:

An Elegant Funeral Coach

When I first got the car, I had to replace a bend piston rod due to the car overheating. I did the repair myself, so the price of the repair was only about a 100 dollars.

Other than that just minor maintenance like adjusting the carburetor and minor rust repair.

General Comments:

This car is a Behemoth! Being a hearse, it is 22 1/2 feet long. Don't try to maneuver this car into tight places. Over all it is fun to drive. I get looks from all over when I take it out. Most people like it while some others think its just a bit creepy. The luxury of these Lincolns just can't be beat. It glides down the road like no other luxury car I've driven. Obviously (Length x Width x Weight = Luxury)

Also the Lincoln funeral coaches built in 1979 were low production vehicles and only 4 documented 79 Lincoln AHA's are known to have survived out of the 25 produced. I plan on keeping this car completely stock and showing it at local car shows.

Review Date: 18th March, 2004

19th Mar 2004, 07:37

Ugh.

20th Mar 2004, 02:00

You should put pictures of it at cardomain.com.

6th Apr 2004, 18:06

Only 4 survived? now I feel even worse about not buying one when I had the chance.

21st Apr 2004, 09:21

Why don't you just get a Chilton's or Haynes manual for it? it would have all the carburetor adjustment and other maintenance info needed, and it would be correct, unlike a lot of the information you may be given.

1979 Lincoln Continental Mark V V8 overhead valve from North America

Summary:

A good luxury car from the past

Nothing more than a few oil leaks, the general fit and finish isn't superb, but isn't terrible either. Rust is the only big problem, but can be sanded out with ease. The fuel economy is also sad, but to be expected being that the car is from the late 70's weighs 6300 pounds and is an American luxury car.

General Comments:

I think this car is great, very comfortable, excellent acceleration, totally ironic according to its size. Great for long drives, basically like a big comfy chair all the way there. A bit of a pain to park and the gas bills aren't too friendly, but a crowd pleaser.

Review Date: 27th April, 2003

30th Sep 2005, 21:15

My 79 mark five collector series is like new inside, but the exterior is rotting from the weather in western New York, the underside is in excellent shape, but the body has a lot of issues with the way the moldings retained water and the weather took over. The oil leak I hope isn't the main seal because that won't fit in with the 3.00 per gallon and the fact that its not easy to change. if there's anyone that could give any advice would love to hear about it thanks.

1979 Lincoln Continental Town Car 6.6 liter, 400 cid from North America

Summary:

Too bad they don't build cars like this anymore

Other than the engine mount braking at 100k miles, I haven't had one problem.

General Comments:

She is wonderful car, safe, roomy, comfortable. But only one draw back, low MPG. About 10 MPG, but then again it's about 5,500 lbs of road hugging weight!

Review Date: 1st March, 2001

17th Sep 2008, 20:13

According to the Encyclopedia of American Cars, the '79 model weighs in at 4649lbs...

4th Jun 2014, 06:56

Honestly, I don't even know why Lincoln had to downsize for 1980. The 400 could do about 15 to 18 MPG highway in stock form. Toss the C6 and use a 4-speed overdrive automatic, and replace the 2-barrel carburetor with TBI, and the big Continental could probably get fuel economy to meet CAFE and even boost power.

I guess it was cheaper to just downsize it to the Panther platform, which Ford really wanted to make their main big car platform from there on out.