1997 Lincoln Continental Reviews

1997 Lincoln Continental 4.6 32V INTECH from North America

Year of manufacture1997
Engine and transmission 4.6 32V INTECH Automatic
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

Takes me back to when I was a teenager!

Nothing yet, I feel something will eventually.

General Comments:

I bought this car wrecked with the intention of reselling it to make money. Now I know I am keeping it.

I haven't had anything that runs as good as it does since I had a 1971 Torino GT. I have a 1989 Mustang 5.0 and this Lincoln will take it from a stop sign and do it smoother and more comfortably. On a recent trip to VA from PA I decided to take the Lincoln instead of my brand new F150 Supercrew.

The Lincoln rode better, accelerated quicker and gave me 26 mpg on the average over 500+ mile round trip sometimes driving at 80+ mph. My two year old grandson slept almost the whole way back to PA. I have a total of $2500 dollars in this car. Can't get a better bargain than that. I'm now trying to figure if I can fit a Mustang Cobra supercharger on it. I've already put a K&N air filter in and am doing a set of Flowmasters.

Review Date: 29th October, 2003

15th Jul 2004, 10:39

Re: Interior mirror.

I had the same problem, and also found out it was SO expensive to replace.

So, screwdriver in hand, I prised the mirror apart, delicately. I let the glass slip out onto my hand. I cut the red and black wires, then taped them up securely with electrical tape. I then used warm water and an exacto knife blade to prise the glass apart (it's a double glass on the mirror which holds the fluid for the "dimming"). It came apart after a while, as I said, delicacy and patience pay off. I cleaned both parts of the mirror, placed them back into the holder, clicked it closed, and, voila!! A perfect mirror, but it does not dim. Who really needs it to dim if it saved, in my case $680? Good luck.

25th May 2006, 09:18

Congrats to you on fixing it, but I mean, why didn't you just buy a new regular style one? the ones with the little flippy switch on the bottom? You can get one from any junk yard for $5. Seems easier than playing around with a whatever the heck kind of fluid they use for dimming.

That's just my opinion. Pay $250 dollars, or $5-$10... it's a no brainer.

-The Gooch-

11th Dec 2006, 12:59

I bought my '97 Continental in '99 with 18,000 miles on it. I paid $20k for it. I thought it was a little steep at the time, but the car now has 198,000 miles on it and it looks and runs like the day I purchased it. BY FAR, the best car I've ever purchased. A strong runner.

13th Nov 2009, 21:01

Hey y'all, I got mine from an auction with 87 thousand on it, and whenever I go between 2nd and 3rd it feels a little jumpy.

Also, who has had to change their sound system on theirs?

-pattywack.

1997 Lincoln Continental 32valve 4.6L V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1997
Engine and transmission 4.6L V8 Automatic
Previous carNissan Pathfinder

Summary:

Find your self one fast!!!

The only thing I have replaced on my car is the Brakes and Tires. Everything else has been flawless.

General Comments:

My 1997 Continental has ran great for me. I did know the previous owner which always helps. It also helped knowing that she returned to get a Brand New Town Car so I really knew she must have been happy with Lincoln. My car has been all over the US. From NY, to CA, MN to TX. I put a lot of miles on my vehicles and usually am able to tell if it is a worth vehicle. I usually trade or sell off my vehicles when they hit around 100-120K, but this one has not cost me anything, but regular maintence so it is surely a keeper. I would recommend a Lincoln to anyone as this has been a very durable car. I get about 20-21 mpg on average with city and highway driving. I am only 25 and love this car. My friends usually try to make fun of me for driving a grandma vehicle until they see the luxary in it and the "power" it holds inside. As far as I can see from a 1997 to a 2004 vehicle the only "gadget" it is missing is the GPS! GREAT CAR!!

Review Date: 2nd October, 2003

20th Mar 2004, 09:43

We're up to 90,000 miles on ours. Biggest gripes have been the Air Conditioning, which has been repaired annually for the past 3 years, and the sensitivity of the car to front wheel imbalance.

Other than that, It's a good, roomy, and comfortable car. Reliable as the day is long and cheap to operate.

28th Jun 2004, 17:33

A Call for help.

My Dad will be 80 next month and I want to buy him luxury for whatever years he has left. I am offered a Lincoln Continental V8 32 dohc with 4.6 liter engines etc that seems to be in beautiful condition, but has over 90,000 miles on the clock.

I love the car and know he will love it, but all the reviews give terrible opinions. Not every failure has to be repaired (e.g if heated back seat fails) but I would be scared of continuing big expense. He can afford US$800 a year to maintain it. Would I be giving him stress or the ten years of comfort he deserves.

I would be most grateful for your advice.

Rosalind.