16th Nov 2009, 10:53

The model is a Mark IV. But it has Continental badges on the trunk and on the front headlight cover.

30th May 2010, 06:53

Yeah, just a question on the Lincoln 2-doors, as I don't live in the states & am researching them online with a view to buying one in the future.

Am I correct in saying that the "Marks" have the opera window and the rounded "spare wheel" trunk lids with continental lettering following the curve, while there are also 2-door versions of the sedan (possibly on the longer wheelbase) that have a square rear window & a straight trunk lid with the sedan's rear lights, trim & bumper?

8th Jun 2010, 07:35

To the most recent commenter, you are correct. The car you are talking about is a Town Coupe. It is essentially a Town Car that has only two doors, they are kinda rare today, but they do exist. (By rare, I mean I don't see very many around here in southern Louisiana.)

25th Oct 2011, 21:36

Lincoln made 3 different models for 72:

Continental Mark IV - as described, these were long, low and lean 2 doors with 460 ci engines, and were the alternative to the Eldorado. The "Continental Kit" described in previous comments (humped trunk lid with lettering) was standard issue on this model. Mark IV's for 72 came in a few different designer packages I believe as well. One I know for sure was the "Cartier Edition" (I know, I owned one... sweet ride), but there may have been a "Bill Blass Edition" as well... but I could easily be mistaken. Also, the opera windows described were standard issue on the Mark IV as well. I know mine had some fancy lettering or design on them, and they lit up inside when a switch was flipped in the back seat.

Town Car - square / boxy four door version that would seat 8 comfortably (and could fit 10 more in the trunk on Drive-In night) and also came equipped with a 460 ci engine. The Continental kit was optional on this model (few had it), but I think opera windows were standard issue. Amazingly, I believe the hood is as long as the passenger compartment, which is as long as the trunk lid. Get a tape measure, check it out ;-)

Town Coupe - two door version of the Town Car, again equipped with a 460 ci engine with the same details and amenities as the larger Town Car. I owned a 1978 Town Coupe once, and if memory serves me, this model / year was the longest (over-all length) and heaviest curb weight standard production vehicle ever built. This thing was like the Queen Mary!! An amazing car, wish I would have kept both the 72 and the 78.

Hope this helps :-)

26th Oct 2011, 12:46

You are only half correct on the Marks for 72. There were no designer series yet (Bill Blass or Cartier); those didn't show up until 76. And the 72 was the only year that opera (oval windows in the c-panel) were actually an option. My midnight blue 72 Mark IV actually did NOT have opera windows from the factory. They did however have luxury group options with the 72's, but they were special color combinations, and the options that they had were nothing you couldn't get in a regular Mark IV.

26th Oct 2011, 15:45

The '78 Continental was a large car, however the longest production car would be the '76 Cadillac Fleetwood at 233 plus inches.

28th Oct 2011, 09:37

When brand new, these were real head turners. I had a friend in college, no less, that received a brand new 73, all silver. He traded in a nice 71 citrus 4 speed Z28 for it. I would have loved to have owned either. It was a beautiful car.

Another friend of mine, also in Delaware, bought the new Thunderbird version; a cranberry color with white vinyl top and white interior. And it too was very sharp. It wasn't a Mark IV, but was every bit as good looking in 73.