2008 Lincoln MKZ 3.5 litre V6 from North America

Great car, needs rear drive to be perfect

The car was just purchased and has not had any problems yet. The primary reason for purchasing a Ford product was the incredible reliability of our previous Fords, some of which made 300,000 miles with only very minor problems. We have also been impressed with the very high ratings the Ford Fusion (basically the same car as the MKZ) has received.

General Comments:

My 82-year-old mom had to turn in her leased Volvo S-60, which has proven to be a mediocre car at best and totally unsatisfying at worst. My wife recently got a Ford Fusion and mom has been very impressed with it.

We were looking at fully loaded Fusion SEL's, but the dealership had a 2008 MKZ that was a former rental car at a price comparable to a new Fusion SEL. Since our family has owned 3 previous rental cars and all have been perfect, we have no reservations whatsoever about buying one. The savings amounts to thousands of dollars over a new vehicle.

The MKZ is even smoother than the silky-smooth Fusion, and the more powerful 3.5 V-6 provides very good acceleration and passing power. The 6-speed automatic shifts so seamlessly you can't feel the shifts in normal driving. The sound level in the interior is very low, and the car has a very solid feel to it. There is no hint of rattles, squeaks or any other unwanted sounds anywhere in the car.

The interior features heated and air-conditioned seats, voice activated sound system, climate control and every imaginable accessory. The moon roof is large and operates almost silently. The leather seats are very comfortable with a full range of power-selected positions. All controls and instruments are very user-friendly and located in convenient positions within easy reach.

My ONLY issue with the car is that it is front wheel drive. I strongly feel that a luxury car of this caliber should be rear-drive. Front drive is complicated, much more expensive to work on, provides less than sporty handling and has no practical advantages over rear drive. The rear drive Mercedes C-class that we test drove handled better, but rode worse, was noisier and had a cheaper interior. If the MKZ was rear-drive, the handling would really be awesome, as well as everything else about the car.

Review Date: 21st January, 2009

24th Jan 2009, 14:19

I am actually a firm believer in FWD. Lot better performance in bad conditions. Heavy engine and parts need to be over the performing tires so you can get grip in rain/snow. That's just my experience though.

25th Jan 2009, 22:41

I'm the original reviewer with a follow-up comment on the MKZ. After a week I've had a chance to really do some close comparisons between the MKZ and our Fusion. What I'm discovering is that there is virtually NO difference!! The MKZ has more sound insulation, making it quieter, and the ride seems a bit smoother. The interiors are virtually identical, except that our Fusion actually has MORE interior storage nooks. The quality of the leather seats seems identical, and except for the tail lights and the grill, it is the exact same body.

Mom has always believed that paying more for something means it is "better" (most rich folks suffer that delusion) but in all honesty, I cannot see $17,000 worth of difference between a fully loaded Fusion SEL (which comes standard with everything the MKZ does) and the MKZ. Sound insulation doesn't cost THAT much. I'm glad my wife opted for the Fusion.

2007 Lincoln MKZ AWD 3.5 from North America

An intelligent luxury sporting sedan, and a very sweet ride!

Nothing yet.

General Comments:

My first impression of the car was that Ford was still playing catch up with the German and Japanese luxury brands.

Similar class to the CTS.

The rubber dash looks a bit cheap.

The premium sound system although very loud and powerful could be a bit clearer with more equalization options (14 speaker THX certified with sub woofers).

No heat or heated seats for rear passengers (otherwise very well equipped).

Should be a RWD with AWD option not a FWD.

Throttle applications can be a little imprecise until you get used to either gradual accelerations or flat out jumping on the pedal. Throttle can hesitate or become confused when switching between the two.

No manual transmission or semi-auto sequential shifting. (Aisin 6 speed automatic with OD)

This is one sweet ride and it grows on you quickly.

The power is smooth, but lags because the engine has to spool up to 6500 RPMs and push all 4 wheels. The 3.5 V6 delivers adequate power 263HP and 249 lbs/ft torque. A factory supercharger or a V8 would be a good option. Tight handling, traction control and AWD make for a very well balanced drive. A very addictive and attractive urban mid-sized luxury sedan. Overall a very nice package, and a step in the right direction for the domestic automakers. Definitely worth checking out, drive one and you'll understand!

Review Date: 24th February, 2007

24th Feb 2007, 11:38

Congratulations on the BEST mid-size luxury car made in the world within 10 grand of this price range. My family has driven Lincolns since 1984. NOT ONE has ever seen the inside of a repair shop...EVER. They are the most reliable cars in the world (regardless of what clueless import fans tell you). Enjoy your ride. I doubt you will keep it long enough to wear it out, as it is good for an easy quarter million miles.