1992 Mazda 121 1.1 Manul from Malta

Summary:

Great

When I bought this Mazda, I only needed to change the tires.

General Comments:

For Malta, this car is great.

Review Date: 8th November, 2002

1992 Mazda 121 Bubble 1.3 16v from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Fast, brilliant little car!

Gearbox and at clutch 98000km's.

Left and right outside CV joints replaced at 126000km's.

Left and right inside CV joints at 149000km's.

General Comments:

I thrashed the car from day one, and it's never really let me down.

I bought the car new from a dealer in 1992, and all I've done is put on some 17" mags (215/45 tyres) and a 2 1/2" exhaust.

I've driven a lot of small European and Japanese sports cars and not many of them come close to the performance and handling of the bubble.

The car also has a short wheelbase, which makes off-roading fun.

Review Date: 12th October, 2002

1992 Mazda 121 LX 1.3 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Good clean fun

Nothing has really gone wrong.

General Comments:

The manual transmition is good in that the gears slip cleanly into place. It tends not to stall, but the clutch is rather high, which makes it easy to over rev. That can be changed.

The small engine isn't yet a problem. I suspect it might be, but in the mean time it's saving me petrol money.

The boot is massive for the size of the car. Golf clubs no hassle... just have to fit them in diagonally.

The radio is a little dodgy. Screen was cracked when I bought the car... though a cd player will fit nicely.

Air Conditioning is strong.

Very low mileage. Seems to be a trend with these cars. In ten years this car has done 62000km, or around 38000miles. That's great... But I wonder how it will hold up with 25,000km per year.

Review Date: 7th July, 2002

1992 Mazda 121 GLX 1.3i-16v from Netherlands

Summary:

A cute car, with great qualities

When I bought the car there wasn't hardly a light bulb that worked so I had to renew almost all lights.

At 98.000 km I had the distribution belt renewed.

At 101.000 km two new front wheel tires.

General Comments:

The 121 Bubble (in Holland people call it "the bowler hat") is very roomy and comfortable (I am 1,90 m tall)

It's acceleration is amazing for a small car looking like this (0-100 km/h in 11 sec.)

The trunk is quite large, swallows the holiday luggage of 2 persons easily.

Review Date: 26th May, 2002