1984 Mazda B2000 Sundowner Short Box 2.0 from North America

Summary:

A tank, built like a mini truck

Slave cylinder at six months.

Master cylinder at a year.

Spark plugs every six months, but I drive her hard.

Really worn seats since the owner before me.

General Comments:

Love every minute of driving this little truck. I have another big truck, and would still pick the B any day.

Drives like a race car and works like a horse, but I never have to fix anything big.

Review Date: 16th May, 2013

1984 Mazda B2000 SE-5 2.0 from North America

Summary:

Built to last

The dome light housing rotted away.

Had to replace some thirty year old ball joints, tie rod ends, and shocks.

Drivers door bushings wore out.

Overall, not a lot, considering.

General Comments:

It has been a great little truck.

Review Date: 18th March, 2012

1984 Mazda B2000 Sundowner 2.0L Carburated from North America

Summary:

Practical, cheap, affordable

Muffler wore out, alternator and starter. All very easy to replace.

General Comments:

Cheap truck to buy, cheap truck to own, repair and maintain. Still lots of parts out there for it.

Fuel efficient (26/33), peppy and easy to work on.

Loud.

Review Date: 17th March, 2009

1984 Mazda B2000 SE 2.0 litre from North America

Summary:

The biggest, and best small truck. As long as you don't destroy it by slamming it to the ground

I had to replace the stock clutch, around 130,000 miles.

I replaced the original starter after it took a dump.

I replaced the original alternator after I fried the voltage regulator.

I have replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders.

I replaced the rotors and calipers on the front brakes.

I also replaced the transmission at 140,000 miles; my fault, it would have lasted much longer. I went for a drive up in the hills when there was 3 foot of snow; did fine till I went to turn around and got stuck in a 5 foot snow drift. I spent 2 hours playing the first, and reverse game till I got free, and made it home. However I destroyed half the teeth on first gear, and the teeth that were now free to move around seized the trans up 3 months later.

General Comments:

I guess I should be lucky; everyone else I hear talk about these trucks say they get 18-20 mpg. However I get 29.5 mpg on the highway, and 24 mpg in town. Now I don't understand how my truck can be more fuel efficient than the rest. My calculations have been checked 2 times per tank of gas, and I did it for ten tanks in a row.

Handles like a sports car!!!

OK, not really, but close enough for a small truck.

Could be a more comfortable ride. That will be fixed once I get some bucket seats put in the old girl.

Paint is really faded, will be painting sometime next summer.

Review Date: 30th November, 2008

8th May 2009, 16:29

I also get 30 mpg with my Sun-downer. Best $800.00 I've spent.

23rd Oct 2009, 20:29

I have owned three B2000s. Bought all of them used, had from 40k to 92k on them when I bought them. I got 29 to 31 mpg with all three. They all had over 200K when the carbs wore completely out and couldn't be adjusted anymore. The purchase price plus repairs (less gas, tires, and oil) averaged out at about 5 cents per mile on two of them, and an amazing 2.5 cents per mile on the other.

Gosh, I wished had another one. I loved those trucks!

1984 Mazda B2000 STE 2.0 from North America

Summary:

Good basic work truck transportation!

Starter 04

Couple fuel pumps 05 & 07

Rebuilt Clutch Master and Slave cylinder several times, my fault (I ride the clutch)

General Comments:

Bought truck from an old guy who let it set for years.

Had to adjust the Valves because of a bad tick, quited right down after adjustment. Truck runs a little rough, but is very trustworthy. I Love it because I can repair almost everything that goes wrong with the help of the Haynes Manuel. Fair gas mileage 18-20 MPG. Hauls every thing I put in it with no trouble. Leaks inside every time it rains, needs paint and front end is rusty, but wouldn't have it any other way! All in all it's the best $1000 bucks I ever invested! I'll drive it till the wheels fall off which won't be for a long time yet! My dog loves the little swing out wing windows up front!

Review Date: 27th November, 2007

1984 Mazda B2000 Reg. cab, long box. Four-banger from North America

Summary:

Rusty-but-trusty.

It was a complete rust-bucket.

Even the gas tank rusted through.

The shifter was too close to the seat.

The taillight didn't want to stay fixed.

Wipers ceased to operate.

General Comments:

It handled and accelerated well for a 4-cylinder.

Comfortable bench seat.

8-foot bed.

Simple dash.

There was never a problem with the engine.

It always started.

Not bad for the first truck I ever owned. I've had more trouble with my F-150.

Review Date: 6th April, 2002

9th Dec 2002, 19:51

Oldest Mazda I have ever owned and by far the best. No major problems. Chugging on 250,000 miles, had 220,000 miles when the vehicle was given to me. I'll keep on driving it until the wheels fall off, and then I'll probably try to put them back on some how!!

10th Jul 2006, 20:44

She was the first automobile I owned. I loved her. The cab was so small and simple. The rust gave her character and a well-earned respect. I purchased her in 2001 from a local mechanic after a customer had blown the head-gasket. He doctored her well. I put 30,000 miles on it with no problems. I sold her in 2005 because I needed the money for extensive travel. The old woman who bought her still drives it to this day. Recently, I approached her to buy her back. I told her a sad story. She refused, explaining that she "loves driving that truck", and, in fact, "very well could be her favorite part of the day." So I bought an '88 b2200 instead, the closest I could find.