1993 Mercedes-Benz 190 190E 2.00 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

I've had it for 13 years, what more can I say

The head gasket started leaking at about 30,000 miles and was replaced as was skimming of the head. This cost me about £300, (not at a MB dealer). this lasted about 600 miles and had to be done again, another £200.

All the brake discs have had to be replaced as they were squealing, £450.

Rust on the driver inner door pillar, where the rubber boot is attached. Warranty.

Leaky boot (trunk).

Bubble of rust on sliding roof, which jammed and had to have the cable replaced.

Leaky water control valve for heater.

New water pump fitted.

Seat belt indicator lamp stayed on and caused the alarm to keep setting off, I had to remove the interior light control PCB.

Most seriously, every year or two I have to fit a brand new distributor arm and cap as it keeps cutting out and runs lumpy. I have tried to clean these items, but they have to be replaced with new parts. This is an easy job and takes no longer than about 15 minutes and costs about £60.

General Comments:

I have had this car from new, and now I am about to buy a new E280CDi Classic Estate.

Even though I have had my problems, the car is lovely to drive and the seats are like new, as well as all the controls working without ant problems.

Review Date: 12th October, 2005

2nd Jul 2012, 11:01

Disc squeal is down to calipers not being maintained or pads with grit trapped, or both. Sounds like someone sold you discs you didn't need.

1993 Mercedes-Benz 190 e 2.0L from UK and Ireland

No problems.

General Comments:

My car has a carat duchutelet body kit and a lowering kit which makes it look great and handle like a train and still very comfortable to drive. with 152000 miles on the clock the cabin still looks brand new, no rips or tears.

Review Date: 29th April, 2004

1993 Mercedes-Benz 190 1993 face lift model 2 litre from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Its got style. It's a mercedes!!

Whining noise out of gearbox.

Diff leaking oil.

Minor panel work on rear door, (paint beagn to crack and bubble)

General Comments:

Great Car, very comfortable to drive at higher speeds, no problems there.

Sticks to the road in the the DRY, I have thrown this car at all corners at all speeds and it just keeps sticking, but in the wet, another story, its all over the place.

Its got style. It's a mercedes!!

Review Date: 15th December, 2003

1993 Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.3 from North America

Summary:

Excellent vehicle and highly recommended!

Brake pads and rotors at 136 000 Ks.

Transmission seems to shift irregularly since I purchased it. (i.e. will shift two gears without me accelerating very much, but may be normal for this vehicle).

Front passenger power window is very slow to close since I purchased it.

General Comments:

My first BENZ and I must say that I am very pleased with the overall quality.

Mine is a black / gray combination with black Tex seats and is very attractive and well built. It is hard to believe this vehicle cost in excess of $46 000.00 Canadian when new 10 years ago and I was able to purchase it for $8500.00 with two sets of rims and tires.

This car is not overly quick, but not all that slow either. Good on fuel depending on how you drive.

I have purchased the updated Euro lights and side blinkers for my car and it looks 10 years younger.

Try to find a shop that specializes in Mercedes to have it serviced with OEM parts as the dealership is very expensive to deal with.

I am very pleased with this vehicle and am very much sold on Mercedes as a whole. I am looking forward to a bigger and newer Mercedes as my next vehicle.

Review Date: 29th August, 2003

1993 Mercedes-Benz 190 E 1.8 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

I hope to keep this car for another 100000 miles

Parking brake required new pads at 7000 miles - replaced under warranty and brakes generally giving good mileage.

Head gasket blew at 96000 miles.

Tires have been Continental ECO 185/65/15H which usually give about 30000 miles a set.

Rear exhaust has rattled occasionally from loose baffle since 95000 miles, but is being kept going though new box and catalyst now seems inevitable.

General Comments:

Maintenance was by main dealer up to 85000 miles when I switched to a small independent Mercedes specialist. Labor costs are therefore considerably less without sacrificing the quality needed to keep these, very reliable, cars true to their reputation.

The auto box makes for very smooth running in London traffic.

Despite small engine the car is perfectly lively.

Overall fuel consumption is still 30 miles per Imperial gallon.

Cross- country driving on English roads is very comfortable and rattle-free.

85mph is the most comfortable speed on motorways.

Sadly no air-conditioning on this model, but separate heater and air vent controls do enable front passengers' individual comfort needs to be met.

Paintwork and build quality have been excellent.

Review Date: 13th January, 2003

2nd Jul 2012, 11:03

As head gaskets rarely fail below 200,000 miles on this make and model, if at all, I suspect poor fuel or incorrect ignition, or both, caused this failure. Skimp on maintenance = big bills later.