1993 Mercedes-Benz 190 e 2.3 from North America

Summary:

A beautiful car with quality craftsmanship when new. A headache when they get old.

Many, many parts changed.

General Comments:

This is a beautifully well built car, detailed and refined in all aspects, a true German piece of nostalgic engineering. BUT never consider buying a high mileage 190e, don't even think about it! This car does not age well. When these babies get old, they require high maintenance and are very fussy in cold Canadian weather.

Despite the fact that I kept changing the parts, I simply couldn't keep up. I got so fed up I just gave up and bought a 2004 Honda accord.

Review Date: 1st February, 2010

3rd Jul 2012, 11:51

Fussy in Canadian cold weather? Heated block pump used? Actually 190s are not that expensive to run to 0.5 million miles, as long as one keeps the rust at bay, and on top of servicing. What writes a car off is engine or gearbox failure, and the reconditioned gearbox is cheaper than risking another secondhand car.

All my Mercedes have gone well past 200k miles, and it was bodywork that got expensive. Each time I changed to another make, I regretted it, and wish I had instead spent the money on repairs on the Mercedes. Pre-1990 cars are best built with few electronic faults.

6th Apr 2013, 21:55

Don't know what part of Canada you live in, but my 190E 2.3 starts at -35C and has never failed to start. It has 220K+ MILES on it and uses no oil, and still gives 32 MPG city and highway.

And the bonus is that you can still buy any part for it that you want, not like the American made cars that you can't buy parts for after 20 years.

1993 Mercedes-Benz 190 2.6 from North America

Summary:

Knowing today what I have experienced with the car I would make the same buying decision again.

At 125,000 miles the front/rear brakes were replaced.

At 126,000 miles the tires were replaced.

At 131,000 miles the battery was replaced.

The CD player is dead or broken.

The radio crackles and hisses.

The sunroof opens at the back, but no longer retracts.

Fuses have been replaced.

One headlight bulb was replaced.

General Comments:

I bought the 190E in October of 2004 for $5,000 due to Mercedes reputation for quality and reliability. It looked good, ran good, and has been a real joy. Yet by the time autos reach the age of 131,000 miles things go wrong. What repairs would I have faced had I spent $5,000 on a used Cadillac?

The car is very comfortable and I have a real sense of protection if a wreck should occur. It handles great just like a much younger sedan. The doors still make that confident thunk that they did 13 years ago.

Mercedes has long produced quality autos that establish a certain design which repeats itself year after year. Therefore a 13 year old car can still be recognized for who and what it is.

Interior-wise it looks new and even retains that wonderful MB leather smell.

If you are entertaining the idea of buying an older MB you might consider the 190E.

Review Date: 29th January, 2006

26th Aug 2010, 18:56

If those have been the only things to go wrong with this vehicle, sounds like you got a great deal! All those things are so common and expected, that they almost don't count.

1993 Mercedes-Benz 190 2.6 from North America

Summary:

Money well spent

Well when I bought it I knew the transmission is bad and exhaust is bad so I got both done with cost

General Comments:

It is a rare 2.6 liter model. man this car is awsome best I have ever driven. parts are not that expensive I mean you can get em online. labor is expensive, but I guess if you keep it in good condition you can reduce those costs. it is a nice car and I don't think I will ever sell it. when you comment on used cars don't blame on the car blame the owner. lot of people don't car for their cars so then they cry when they get bills.

Review Date: 13th December, 2005