2011 Mercedes-Benz C-Class 250 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

The perfect long distance compact cruiser

Nothing, 100% perfect reliability.

General Comments:

The four cylinder turbo has more than enough power for steep hills and over taking quickly.

The car looks amazing, and always gets comments at the service station.

It's an effortless car to drive, and is ideal for covering vast distances across Australia on scorching hot days.

Extremely well screwed together and handles like a sports car, yet has a smooth ride to match.

Uses little fuel, and servicing costs are remarkably cheap for a car of its type.

Review Date: 23rd March, 2013

2011 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C220 CDI Elegance 2.1 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Overrated

I have had various fault indicators crop up, including tyre pressure (perfectly fine) and low coolant (contacted dealer.. also perfectly fine). A bit rubbish from a premium manufacturer really.

General Comments:

Company car.. went for the most expensive estate I could afford, hence the 'Merc'.

Disappointed from day one; stupid foot brake, clutch travel of one yocto-millimeter, dull generally, and now things are going wrong after seven months.

Excellent fuel consumption, very comfy, good looking if you like that kind of thing, but really nothing to write home about with a premium brand. If I wanted an estate, I should have gone for a Volvo; I think the new ones look great.

Anyway, I am biased as I drive a Jag XJR as my own car, and even though it's 13 years old, it is a damn sight more fun than this heap of dog sick.

Review Date: 23rd May, 2012

31st Jan 2013, 14:20

What's a yocto-millimeter? I'm a professional engineer, and I reckon you just made that up.

I have a C200 diesel estate with manual gearbox, and totally disagree with your comments. The clutch is fine. You only use the foot operated parking brake for... parking. The C Class has a "brake hold" feature where, if you press the foot brake twice, it will hold the car until you restart, at which point the brakes will release automatically. I only use the foot parking brake when I turn the engine off.

The Mercedes is a fine long distance cruiser, that can also happily be chucked around if you have a mind to. As for dull, if you want dull, sit in a 3-series. The Merc is traditional and all the better for it.

As for the new Volvos, good luck to you if you like the Star Trek readout display, lack of a water temperature gauge and lower reliability than Mercedes. The only good thing about the Volvo is the seats. Oh yes, and the cliff wall depreciation that you won't care about because it's a company hack.

Me, I will keep my Merc.

2nd Feb 2013, 04:25

Yocto denotes 10-24 (10 to the power of minus 24) in metric measurements, so the reviewer was being sarcastic!

17th Jan 2014, 21:38

I didn't find any information that supports your 1 score for reliability.

2011 Mercedes-Benz C-Class 180 CGI from South Africa

Well I had the car for only 15000km, so nothing went wrong.

General Comments:

This car is the most comfortable car for long journeys from anything that I have travelled with.

Good power, and hardly had to look at the rear view mirror to allow anybody to overtake.

It is so smooth, and the turbo is very good; some minimal lag that I got used to, but excellent in overtaking, even at higher speeds.

Also love the centre storage panel that takes the place of the handbrake, and miss this entirely when I drive my second car, a Daihatsu Sirion. This car even puts the Merc B Class to shame with quality, comfort, performance.

It is actually a pleasure to drive this car, and I always look forward to going on a run, even though I can be tired as hell. Oh, and I love the looks.

Awaiting eagerly the 2012 face lifted C Class with all new gadgets and 7 speed auto gearbox.

Review Date: 15th July, 2011