1986 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Reviews

1986 Mercedes-Benz E-Class 300e from North America

First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carBMW 6 Series

Summary:

The 1986 Illusive 5 speed... Amazing!

Replaced blower motor brushes... replaced several suspension parts and steering stabilizer. They probably needed it after a half million miles. The car really does have over half a million documented miles on it.

General Comments:

This car is rare as hens teeth! It is the illusive 300E manual transmission. Half a million documented miles and counting! 5 speed manual transmission is still silky smooth! Now for the kicker... I bought the car for $694 dollars in Tennessee in 2010. I have put probably $2500 in cosmetic rejuvenation and suspension work. If someone offered me $7000 or $8000, I would laugh at them, and then turn it down!

Review Date: 21st November, 2010

12th May 2012, 08:07

I own a 1986 Mercedes Benz 300E. I can almost guarantee it has nearly 1 million miles on it.

You are right, it is very elusive to find them. I have the sedan or saloon as they call it. I love how when I am driving around, people stop and stare. I just can't help but smile, realizing that as old as this car is, it still gets the respect it deserves. You're right, I could be offered $8000 or more, and I already know I would say no. I respect a car so well built and strong.

15th May 2012, 14:24

They may get high mileage, but parts are high. I had a 5k air conditioning bill in 1993. I also owned a 450SL, and it was expensive with age on it.

1986 Mercedes-Benz E-Class 300E Premium Gasoline from North America

First year of ownership1986
Engine and transmission Premium Gasoline Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Corvette

Disk Brakes have needed scheduled maintenance.

Air Conditioning has needed several repairs.

Transmission replaced with re-built unit @ 152k.

In general, this vehicle has served me very well.

It still is my everyday driver and looks good.

It fits me like a glove and I enjoy driving it.

The secret to car ownership of any type is to care for your automobile with proper maintenance and frequent cleaning.

This especially means wheels and tires.

Armorall the interior every few months.

Don't leave it outside for a year and expect it to start up and drive off.

It will serve you well if you take care of it.

I've driven only two vwhicles over the past 30 years.

A 1986 300E and a 1973 Corvette Stingray.

Overall cost has been next to nothing as a result.

Review Date: 10th October, 2008

8th Mar 2010, 05:46

I love my 1986 300e, bought for $500, runs, needs catalytic converter (mine was stolen), seats won't move (help), ignition switch is gone (how do I replace this)?

1986 Mercedes-Benz E-Class 300E from North America

Year of manufacture1986

Summary:

A well engineered car!

Nothing out of ordinary really for a 20 year old car.

After purchase:

Replaced shocks, tires.

Blower fan needed some work.

Transmission service.

New distributor and wires.

Wheel bearing broke.

Sunroof motor broke.

General Comments:

I absolutely love this vehicle despite the fact that parts can sometimes be a bit expensive if you don’t hunt for them yourself. In my opinion some money is expected if you're buying a Mercedes; but what a Mercedes this is! It has over 200,000 kilometres on it and still looks like a million dollars! I haven’t driven many cars, but when compared to the stories that I hear this car can definitely be considered very well built.

The transmission is a bit choppy and not for a drag racer, but once on a highway you forget that there is a transmission. All the materials in the car seem to be very durable; so is the paint: 20 years and still glossy with only tiny rust spots.

The electrical gadgets do break occasionally, but it’s a 20 year old car; I am willing to pay for a sun roof motor that broke once since 86.

I use the car as a daily driver and very happy to wax it every month or so because it deserves it and is a pleasure to drive.

Review Date: 14th November, 2006