1993 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Reviews - Page 2 of 2

1993 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E 3.2 litre petrol from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1993
Engine and transmission 3.2 litre petrol Automatic
Previous carMercedes-Benz W123

Summary:

Comfortable, reliable, superb performer, that is cheap to run as it does not seem to go wrong.

Exhaust back box.

Relay on Air Conditioning.

Headlamp bulb.

General Comments:

Every time I sit in this car it makes me smile. It was one of the last 320 E Class's to be made hence was fitted with over £7.000 worth of extras as standard to help sell it over the newer E320 model. Full cream leather interior, climate control air conditioning, electric sunroof, electric seats, headrests, windows etc.

Very comfortable inside, plenty of room for four, even more legroom with just two!

Performance is very nimble with the 3.2 litre, 24 valve, straigh six unit. Handles like it;s on rails although the compromise for performance is a slightly harder ride. Compared to my previous 123 230 CE model that was like driving your favourite armchair, the 320E is very quick and precise in handling. It is easy to induce wheel spin with over zelous use of the throttle, so light aceleration from junctions is recommended if you don't want to appear like a boy racer!

I can't find a fault with this motor car. Build quality is superb. Unlike more modern Mercedes Benz models, there are no rattles leaks or bits of trim that drop off. My only regret is that MB are no longer built to this high standard.

Review Date: 1st November, 2003

17th Nov 2004, 09:40

Could you please elaborate on the faulty headlamp? Mine caught on fire last night during a fender bender; the flames eventually totaled my car. I'm curious to know if this is a common occurence with this make and model. My dad bought the car in 1994, and I inherited it in 1998. It's been everywhere with me, and now I'm flabbergasted that a headlamp spark could destroy everything under the hood.

Please contact me at cannontekstar@yahoo.com.

Cannon.

15th May 2005, 18:11

I own a 1993 200TE 7 seater. I have never owned a more reliable car. With regular servicing, every 12,000 miles, from my local garage, non- M-B, nothing has gone wrong. Absolutely nothing nothing. I would highly recommend one of these to any family with 4+ kids on a budget. Pity they don't make them like they used to!! Be warned though, fuel consumption on the school run is not great, but is more than offset by reliability.

12th Feb 2009, 00:16

We have an 1994 e420 that we try not to use too much. It is such a gorgeous piece of engineering, we'd hate to have somebody run in to it. We've had it for more than 2 years and have put a little over 10,000 miles on it. We take it to our usual mechanic, but he hasn't been too challenged since we've only needed routine maintenance. If you can find one of these with lower miles (90-125) for around $6-8k, buy it. If you've never had a MB and have lost the thrill of driving a car, get one of these.

12th Feb 2009, 10:40

I absolutely agree with the last comment - 12 Feb. 2009. I am very happy that there are people that appreciate these wonderful cars. I have 2 E420 from 1994 and 1 C36. Theses are the most refined, durable, well engineered and finished cars I know of.

(Me too, I make the fewest miles I can in these cars, there won't be cars of this quality in the future.)