1993 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Reviews

Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 2.5 diesel Automatic
Distance when acquired152000 miles
Previous carMercedes-Benz E-Class

Summary:

The love of my life - if I was a car LOL

When I went to buy the car, it looked horrible, but inside was superb, and the engine was just WOW! When I bought it and went to wash it, it was a miracle to look at! I love the car, and it is the one I am looking for.

Well, it was performing so well, instant start, good serviced throughout, not spending too much on fuel and no smoke from the exhaust pipe, even when it starts in the morning or after two weeks or so. But now I have changed the gearbox twice (the first one lasted for 4 days, and replaced it again) and the engine has started to make this heavy noise, which I believe is from the engine legs. I have changed them, and it is still the same.

I have installed a new air conditioner on the car. It makes the engine run a bit hard, struggling and heats up. But I sent it to the garage, and the mechanic said that the fuel injectors were leaking fuel and tightened them, and that is when the noise went louder...

What I need to know is: If I change the fuel injectors, does it fix the problem, or what should be done to make it work as it was before?

General Comments:

The car is great, has a leather interior, alloy wheels, automatic. I think it was one of the first of the model which came out... and it looks like it was luxurious for the time...

Review Date: 27th March, 2011

1993 Mercedes-Benz E-Class 500 SEL 5.0 from North America

First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2011

Summary:

The best purchase of mine so far

ASR (traction control) light comes on randomly, yet not while driving.

General Comments:

Inside is AMAZING, no faults except a cigarette burn in the ceiling.

Drives/sounds as a cop car seems to be when accelerating.

Very sturdy/heavy, but still smooth and stealthy.

Great buy at $2500. Only a side panel was missing.

Review Date: 4th February, 2011

1993 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E280 from UK and Ireland

Previous carCitroen XM

Summary:

An outstanding piece of German over-engineering!

Had to replace the Air Mass Meter, it was causing poor running.

Replaced the front & rear shocks, front roll bar bushes.

New battery.

New serpentine belt.

General Comments:

This motor is superb. It's no surprise that MB built 2 million of them. Absolute top build quality and workmanship. You don't get such quality nowadays.

Only 4/5 years ago they were out of my reach, but I finally have one & it is way better than my previous car, a Citroen XM, in every department. Although when I first saw my Merc, it was dirty with leaves in the engine bay and the interior was dirty and dusty. But I could see that hard work and elbow grease would see the quality shine through.

And it has, it looks wonderful and after I wash and polish it, it looks so nice & that Almadine Red looks so lush I could eat it. Even after 140.000 miles, it drives like a new car, I am always smiling when I am in it.

Review Date: 11th July, 2008

1993 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E220 2.2 petrol from Malaysia

Engine and transmission 2.2 petrol Automatic
Previous carAlfa Romeo 146

Summary:

Wish Mercedes still make them like this

The accessory belt tensioner was going bad when I purchased the car. Had the previous owner change it.

Suspension bushings were mostly worn when I bought the car. Had them replaced.

General Comments:

After the disappointly unreliable car of previous, I decided its fun to drive and engaging factors were not worth the countless breakdowns and repairing costs it has incurred on me. At first, I wanted to purchase the W210 E200 model, but then I heard about the quality problems, so I decided to purchase this W124 instead. My fears of it being old and susceptible to breaking down quickly disappeared as I have racked up some trouble free miles on it in two years. Though not as fun to drive as my Alfa, it is much better built.

Interior is very well put together as it is still rattle free and shows very little signs of wear and tear. Switchgears and knobs click the way a Teutonic car ought to, even after 14 years.

The twincam, 16 valve engine is still very smooth at idle and low rpms. However, it is clearly not an engine made for enthusiasts as it shows signs of roughness and gasping for breath at over 4000rpms.I think this is more of a workhorse engine, which, for a daily driver, is fine by me.

I thought the suspension setting for the Malaysian spec model was a bit too soft. When I had the bushings replaced, I purchased a set of German spec springs had them installed. The car handles considerably better now, though there's a bit of penalty in ride quality. Though the original shock absorbers weren't leaking, I had them replaced as well while doing the bushings.

Body has no rust, and doors still shut with the famous Mercedes thunk. There are a few dents and dings from 14 years of being used daily.

I really wish Mercedes Benz still made cars this way. It is ashamed what happened to the reputation of this great marque, all due to the desire of maximising profit. Though Mercedes say they are going back to building cars the way they used to, only time can tell if they are actually telling the truth. I know that once your reputation and people have lost confidence in your brand, it takes ages to regain the ground that you've lost.

Review Date: 19th September, 2007

29th Sep 2007, 10:25

I do agree that the W124 platform (of Mercedes) is wonderful; I myself own a 1993 ambulance model. I have however come up against a recurring problem: sudden power failure due either to a faulty fuel pump, or a fuel pump relay. The only way to restore power has been to tap the fuel pump (situated under the rear) with a light hammer. This usually gets me going again.

1st Aug 2008, 20:11

Hi,

If you need to tap your fuel pump etc, you might be best to get it replaced before it becomes untappable. Fuel pumps are basically wear items, as they are an electric motor with parts that do wear out.

Even better, do what I did.

Convert your car to LPG. I got my car converted to LPG at www.big-toys.net, and now my Mercedes goes like a dream.