2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E500 4Matic 5.0 V8 from North America

Summary:

Overall the car is nice, but too many issues to enjoy it

Engine seals replaced.

Alternator replaced.

Front right air shock replaced.

All rims replaced.

AC blower motor works when it wants.

The car's alignment is iffy.

Tires wear out quickly.

Transfer case is defected for this year.

Transmission slipped when cold outside.

Keyless go drivers door handle stopped working, along with the RF sensor.

Fuel purge valve started to fail.

Battery replaced twice.

General Comments:

When the car is working in sync, it's a very nice, powerful car. 4Matic system works great in winter time, and you will never feel like you will get stuck.

Review Date: 10th July, 2011

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Elegance E220CDI from Norway

Summary:

The only car you will ever need!

Elegance version has a wood piece on top of the compartment opener that broke off.

General Comments:

The car has been serviced as it should and has given me hours and hours of pure driving and comfort pleasure. Plenty of room for my family, 2 kids and a dog. I used to own the 02 Saab 9-5 which was an excellent car, but the E-class beat it in most aspects, reliability, comfort -9-5 seats are better however- performance, and not least space, a huge boot! The 4 cyl diesel proves to be very smooth. I find the seats somewhat too hard, but I've yet to get a back problem due to them. Noise is a little lower in the cabin than the 9-5. I tried the 05 BMW 5-series to compare it and prefer the E easily due to comfort and reliability. Sometimes you feel that everything is just right with a car. Space, comfort, performance and not least safety! 5 star on NCAP of course. The E-class S211 is a car that has it all. I love it!

Review Date: 18th January, 2008

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class e320 wagon from North America

Summary:

Mercedes service and quality are horrible

Gas tank leak needed to replace entire gas tank.

Malfunction of drivers side window trapped arm in window.

General Comments:

I would never by another mercedes due to extremely dangerous malfunctions on my car.

The window malfunctioned and trapped my arm it was squeezing shut so severly that I had to see a doctor after being trapped for 2 minutes until someone opened it.

Had car towed 3 times in one week for intense gas smell and was told each time that there was nothing wrong until the third time tow truck driver verified smell of gas. entire gas tank needed to be replaced - I was told I was lucky I didn't get into an accident because the car could have exploded.

Review Date: 12th February, 2007

7th Jul 2007, 01:27

Why would anyone have their car towed because of a smell?

1st Oct 2007, 09:08

Well, if I smelled gas I would take my car in to be looked at as well. I probably would not tow it unless the smell was just too awful to drive it, but that kind of thing does need attention.

As for the killer window, I would not say that the car is a total piece of crap because of that. Why could you not reach over with your other arm and open the window? Better yet, why did you have your arm sticking out of the window whilst using the auto-up feature? My BMW has pinch protection with the auto-up feature, so I'm sure a 2004 Mercedes does too, but I don't usually have my arm in the window's path. There is probably a bad switch in the window mechanism that did not allow the pinch protection feature to stop the window.

2004 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E220 CDi turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

So far I have really enjoyed this car and hope it is as reliable as my last Merc I ran for 9 years!

The mobile telephone cradle became loose causing the hands-free facility to fail. The problem was quickly resolved under warranty at no cost to me.

The chrome style finish on the driver's door handle started to bubble away from the handle itself. Again there was no issue with the warranty which replaced the door handle.

General Comments:

I have been very pleased with the excellent fuel economy that this larger car has been able to deliver.

The 220CDi diesel engine in my car is the smallest and least expensive diesel engine in the range, but despite this I have been very impressed by the refined smooth performance that it produces. Choosing the cheapest engine allowed me to afford the option of the superb five speed automatic gearbox which is much improved from the old, but still good four speed unit I had in my W124 E260.

The interior space is finished to a high standard and is incredibly comfortable for longer journeys.

Review Date: 25th March, 2005