1991 Mercedes-Benz G-Class W463 300GD 3.0 diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Best out of all 4x4s

The G-WAGON is the best car I have ever driven. None of new cars can be compared with it. Just the few things that I would like to say went wrong:

1. Seats wear very badly. The car has 60.000 miles on the clock, and the driver's seat is worn (has been driven to Lithuania for new leather interior job, all seats, armrests, and the door panels cost 550 euro with good natural leather, and best job you can imagine).

2. Brake cylinder had to be changed (50 euro).

3. Hand brake cable has been changed at the cost of (100 euro). I caused that fault, by trying to adjust the hand brake.

4. Steering wheel was loose. No need of any expensive steering rack reconditioning, or a new steering rack, just needed to be adjusted, 3 minutes job. Cost nothing.

5. Change all bushings (400 euro).

6. Had to change a window regulator, which was a overpriced (800 euro for new, from a Mercedes dealer, so I tried to fix it myself, only few washers did the great job, and saved me a fortune).

7. And also I changed glow plugs (30 euro), all the oil filters, things you normally do for the car, none of those things cost any more than for any other 4x4.

General Comments:

This car is real boy's toy. And at the moment, I have bought a second one. So if you not strong enough for addictions, and planning to buy one of them, likely you will get one more addiction

As I say, it is real boy's toy, it drives everywhere you would not take a risk to drive with most of 4x4s. My G Wagon last summer did the big trip around Europe, 13 countries were visited, and it went through rivers, fluted areas, forests, mud, and mountains, nothing stopped it, had no problems with the car at all.

So it's extremely reliable, average fuel consumption for the whole trip was 10L for 100km, which was shocking; I was expecting to use way more fuel. I think it's very good for the size of the car

The car is made for driving, it's comfortable, has all electric toys: windows, mirrors, sun roof central locking, like the most of new cars. A lot of space inside, panoramic windows... you do not expect that even from Mercedes

Review Date: 6th September, 2010

1991 Mercedes-Benz G-Class Puch G250d from Croatia

Summary:

Pity that all cars aren't G Wagons

I purchased my car from a fire department in Pula, Croatia. The car has original mileage, has no rust, and is overall in good condition so far.

The mechanic still has to change the oil and check the engine properly.

The rubber that goes around the doors has to be changed, also light on commands table doesn't work, and the asbestos net that isolates end of the exhaust pipe has to be changed. As far as I know, this is it.

General Comments:

I knew I was buying a slow work horse type of car. It is my first off-roader. I've owned it for three days now. Its purpose is to carry around a family of five.

The car, or better call it a lorry, is slow. But it is the most fun I ever had driving. I bought a long wheel base model.

While parking it handles better than some normal family cars I've driven. Visibility is excellent. Its presence on the road is also great. Since you cannot drive it like a maniac, it handles curves quite nice. Cruising on an open road with your window down and elbow out is an experience.

The sound of the engine and the way the car moves, makes you want to go adventure traveling every time you start it up.

The gear shifter could be a bit more precise, and its position a little bit closer to the seat.

Review Date: 18th April, 2010

5th Oct 2010, 18:33

To comment on my review:

We did 11t km since we bought it five months ago. Invested 1000E in cosmetics and regular oil changes.

The car is unmistakably good. Most of all reliable. Consumes up to 11L/100km diesel.

If you are considering buying one, don't hesitate. It is worth every penny.