1991 Mercedes-Benz G-Class W463 300GD 3.0 diesel from UK and Ireland
Best out of all 4x4s
The G-WAGON is the best car I have ever driven. None of new cars can be compared with it. Just the few things that I would like to say went wrong:
1. Seats wear very badly. The car has 60.000 miles on the clock, and the driver's seat is worn (has been driven to Lithuania for new leather interior job, all seats, armrests, and the door panels cost 550 euro with good natural leather, and best job you can imagine).
2. Brake cylinder had to be changed (50 euro).
3. Hand brake cable has been changed at the cost of (100 euro). I caused that fault, by trying to adjust the hand brake.
4. Steering wheel was loose. No need of any expensive steering rack reconditioning, or a new steering rack, just needed to be adjusted, 3 minutes job. Cost nothing.
5. Change all bushings (400 euro).
6. Had to change a window regulator, which was a overpriced (800 euro for new, from a Mercedes dealer, so I tried to fix it myself, only few washers did the great job, and saved me a fortune).
7. And also I changed glow plugs (30 euro), all the oil filters, things you normally do for the car, none of those things cost any more than for any other 4x4.
This car is real boy's toy. And at the moment, I have bought a second one. So if you not strong enough for addictions, and planning to buy one of them, likely you will get one more addiction
As I say, it is real boy's toy, it drives everywhere you would not take a risk to drive with most of 4x4s. My G Wagon last summer did the big trip around Europe, 13 countries were visited, and it went through rivers, fluted areas, forests, mud, and mountains, nothing stopped it, had no problems with the car at all.
So it's extremely reliable, average fuel consumption for the whole trip was 10L for 100km, which was shocking; I was expecting to use way more fuel. I think it's very good for the size of the car
The car is made for driving, it's comfortable, has all electric toys: windows, mirrors, sun roof central locking, like the most of new cars. A lot of space inside, panoramic windows... you do not expect that even from Mercedes
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 6th September, 2010