2007 Mercedes-Benz R-Class 350 from North America

Summary:

Poor Build?

Brake pads, rotors, and tires have to be replaced at 50,000km. Is this normal? To be it seems like its way too early to replace, poor build or poor parts? Driving was mainly city, but to be replaced so soon seems out of place. Looking for other R-Class owners experiences. Did you guys have the same problem?

Review Date: 21st April, 2008

6th Sep 2008, 16:55

I own a R-500. Can't wait to sell it! Unfortunately I would have to take a 10k hit to unload the car! The navigation system is rudimentary. I have had difficulty with warranty service especially on the poorly designed retractable drink holders. I have had issues with the much touted transmission as well, the transmission locked completely, the car had to be towed and took over a week to repair. I have been trying to sell the R-500 for three months with no success. Once I unload this vehicle, it will be the last Mercedes I own!

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class 320 CDI sport pack turbo diesel from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Overpriced piece of junk. Do not buy one!

Air conditioning unit did not work in the rear of the car.

The engine bay makes strange whining and beeping sounds 10 minutes after shutting the engine off. This can go on for hours.

Front window was smashed while parked and the dealers told me the nearest replacement was in Germany. 2 weeks minimum wait.

Temperature control on drivers side of the car stopped working, and stayed stuck on maximum heat.

Plastic interior bits already breaking and bits of trim peeling.

General Comments:

Before I start my rant, let me say that this does drive very nicely, and the sports pack makes this the quickest minivan you're likely to drive.

From there it's all downhill. Having had this car only 5 months, it is already starting to fall apart as noted above. On top of that, there are absolutely no accessories for this model, which is a real shame as we live in the country and wildlife is a problem. Some sort of bumper bar would be greatly appreciated.

Lack of general consumable parts availability is unforgivable though, and my 3 hour drive home with no drivers window, wife and 4 kids in the back, in the middle of winter was really miserable. Knowing the nearest spare window was in Germany just made me mad.

I consider this a massive learning experience that has cost me a lot of money. I'm sticking to older land rover disco's, which I can service and make some sense.

Don't be like me and be fooled by the marketing hype. That's where they're spending their money, not on the quality of their cars.

Review Date: 17th July, 2007

17th Jul 2007, 06:30

What parts of the interior are breaking off? I had a 2001 A-Class here in Australia, and went through 4 seat height adjustment handles. They would break very easily on the third or fourth use with absolutely minimal pressure applied. I had hoped DaimlerChrysler had fixed the poor quality plastics in their new models. Disappointing.