1982 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Reviews - Page 3 of 4

1982 Mercedes-Benz S-Class 300SD 3.0L turbo diesel from North America

Engine and transmission 3.0L turbo diesel Automatic
Previous carLincoln Mark V

Summary:

My opinion... no matter what...it's still a Mercedes.

I paid $300 (three hundred dollars!) for this car last month. The driver's side window did not roll all the way up, but it would go down. The passenger side window did not move at all. The radiator neck was broken (and poorly patched with some fiberglass tape and what appeared to be a hot glue gun repair). The A/C was converted over to the R134 in 1997, but the system does not operate at all now. The sun visor clips are both broken, and the vinyl that surrounds the front seat belt pillars has come un-glued. The wood trim throughout the car looks terrible. Leather still looks okay, and dang if the Becker Grand Prix radio don't play like brand new.

General Comments:

I had to replace the entire window assembly in the driver's door (junkyard parts), so I took the good window motor out of the driver's door and installed it into the passenger door, so now all four power windows work properly. The passenger door window motor had rusted itself solid. The driver's door motor was good, but the metal arm with the gear teeth on it was coming apart, and several of the teeth had already stripped off the gear (which is why the window would not go up all the way). Had to replace that before the rainy season started. I also replaced the radiator, and a couple other small things here and there, just to get it all looking as good as possible. I found an '84 300SD in a local junk yard, and the lot guy told me I could take whatever (and however much) I wanted for $100 bucks. So, $400 dollars into this, I got a very nice Merc to get me around sunny Florida. I am not looking forward to summer without A/C, but I didn't have it in my '77 Lincoln Mark V, and plus... now I have a power sunroof.

Review Date: 30th January, 2004

1982 Mercedes-Benz S-Class 300SD 3.0 turbo diesel from North America

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 3.0 turbo diesel Automatic
Distance when acquired200000 miles
Most recent distance222000 miles

Summary:

A luxury sedan and excellent millage for a small price

Broken radiator neck at 215,000 miles.

The raise/lower motor of the driver side seat failed.

Right rear window lifter broken (not uncommon).

Radiator thermostat wouldn't open. (easy cheap fix, made my car run much cooler than before too).

General Comments:

What a car, wow! Bought the car for only $1500 from my neighbor with 200,000 miles.

I just spent $300 for all new pads, new front rotors, and new break lines for the rear breaks from my local Mercedes mechanic. It is amazing how quickly the big beast stops!

Excellent highway car, but on long trips my back starts to hurt due to the worn down seat padding.

Not a good Chicago interstate car, runs almost 3300rpm at 75mph. The newer models have better gear rations I hear.

The engine stays happy with regular oil changes with Mobil Delvac 1300 super 15w-40.

Still gets about 450 miles to a tank on the highway, 350-400 in the city.

Words just cannot describe the 300SD. They run forever if you take very very good care of them.

Review Date: 12th October, 2003

5th Nov 2003, 14:51

I have an '87 300SDL and although at 75 miles per hour, it turns about 3150, it's torque convertor still has a lot of slip. At 115 mph, my car does 4250. This is when the torque convertor is locking up.

The newer cars have no torque convertor lockup.

Don't be afraid to push the car. If you can stand the noise, running a diesel hard is the best thing in the world for it. Unlike a truck diesel, the maximum redline on your car would be higher: About 5050 +-50.

1982 Mercedes-Benz S-Class 500 SEC 5.0 V8 from Brazil

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 5.0 V8 Automatic

Summary:

One of a kind, marvelous!

Radiator leecks with 108.000 km.

Oil pump failure at 109.000.

Tie rod ends got old at 109.200 km.

General Comments:

The car has a full service history and air conditioning, steering wheels and sunroof. However the cabin is large, the back seats are uncomfortable for a tall person.

Brazil doesn't offer proper assistance for that kind of car at the Mercedes Dealers.

Parts are difficult to find.

Review Date: 23rd August, 2002

8th Oct 2002, 22:10

You have the most beautiful car ever made by Mercedes Benz. The new V-8 5.0 cylinder is one of a kind. Take care of it.

Congratulations!

7th Jun 2003, 17:30

I live in Brazil too, and I have owned several Mercedes cars during the last 30 years, without any service problems (in S.Paulo). Parts may take some time to be delivered, but the local Mercedes plant ensures expensive, but reliable delivery of original parts. I am a happy client of Zanini authorized service garage.