1983 Mercedes-Benz S-Class 300sd turbo diesel from North America

Summary:

Faithful

None.

General Comments:

Its been a lifelong dream, to own a car made in the city where I was born.

This is one of the last true diesels, before they went to aluminum heads. Cast steel block and heads, double roller timing chain. Mechanical injection pump, that means when war breaks out, EMP pulse will not fry this cars computer. It has none.

It will burn used cooking oil, without the expensive refining that the computerized diesels need. It will even burn used motor oil.

If you need a car, look at the pre 1985 Mercedes diesels. Why Rich people get rid of them, I don't know. They are built to last a owners lifetime, and his offspring.

Review Date: 27th February, 2007

5th Mar 2007, 16:20

There is a 300SD for sale that I am thinking about buying, partially because it's diesel. What does the mileage look like on it? I know it's a turbocharged I5, so it shouldn't be too bad on fuel. Besides, there are several restaurants in my town probably looking to get rid of old cooking oil. If you ever see this, could you email me?

Mgospeed31@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Aaron.

PS- Strange question...what wiper assembly does the 300SD have? Is it the one huge wiper that covers the entire windshield, or is it the two wiper setup that looks kinda like an '80's Saab 900?

1983 Mercedes-Benz S-Class 300 SD turbo diesel from North America

Summary:

Great car for just a couple of dollars

Had the calipers rebuilt and the A/C rebuilt at 246000.

General Comments:

Super comfort and it handles better than all the cars I have had in the past. It's like having a real car and not a toy. You feel like there is a lot of steel around you.

I heard diesels were slow, but this one really takes off. The engine had been really taken care of. The Rav4, which I got new, was the most uncomfortable car ever.

Review Date: 30th March, 2003

1983 Mercedes-Benz S-Class 300SD 3.0 turbo diesel from North America

Summary:

A costly, low compression, vacuum leaking bucket.

The lower motor incurred damage at 310 000 km.

Glow plug relay went at 274 000 km.

Engine did not start during cold weather, despite a good working block heater.

Engine smoked excessively in the morning.

General Comments:

This vehicle was supposed to last way over 300 000 km, especially since it was powered by a diesel. The poor compression, numerous vacuum leaks, etc., made it not worth the time or hassle.

Review Date: 8th November, 2002

25th Sep 2007, 15:49

Many 617 Mercedes diesel have passed one million miles. Mine gets 38 mpg hwy 46 mpg city. I would take her anywhere. Oil changes are critical.

As far as the new diesels with aluminum heads and blocks and electronics, NO THANKS. Mine will smoke them.

10th May 2009, 04:01

I agree with the other person, that the car was not properly maintained. My 1984 300SD is still going on the original engine, no overhaul or major engine work done. It has a little over 664,000 miles (over 1,068,000 km) and it's still going, 5 days a week. It has always been properly maintained, too. I did have to overhaul the transmission at 580,000 miles, but I didn't think that was all that bad!

I've driven these cars for years, and I've had more than a dozen of them. I have four of them right now. 1982 & 1984 300SD's, 1983 240D, and 1987 300D. They've all been good cars, because they have always been properly maintained.

Ignorance will kill ANY car, as will neglect and abuse.

1983 Mercedes-Benz S-Class 500 SEC 5 litre petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Magnificent and handsome

Nothing has "gone wrong". A pre-purchase inspection recommended new engine mounts, timing chain and tensioner, exhaust and a few other minor things - an extra $5,000 (Australian) to add to the purchase price of $24,000.

General Comments:

This is my first big (V8) car. It is simply magnificent, reliable, cheap to maintain and very handsome. City fuel economy is reasonable (16litre/100km) if you can avoid heavy traffic. This is a great car for a do-it-yourself mechanic because apart from regular oil and other fluid changes it needs only a careful eye to watch over it!

All accessories still work after 19 years, unlike my Alfa (or any other car?).

Is the W126 series Mercedes best ever? When the company was still driven by engineering instead of marketing!

Warning - avoid rusted and abused imports with low mileage from Hong Kong or South Africa. These cars are made to be driven every day - the engines can last forever.

Review Date: 4th June, 2002

6th Jun 2002, 22:13

I got mixed up. Running cost should be 5 out of 10. Try to avoid buying genuine parts - the others are usually made in same factory as genuine Mercedes parts, but you pay double for a box with silver star on it!

4th Jun 2003, 17:06

Driving a 560SEC myself I totally agree with you. Never had a car with such a "Voom" before. Using unleaded fuel it is not guzzling more than 20.0 l/100km even if its running inner city traffic only.

But cruising is what it is really made for. Nothing better than rolling along a beautiful landscape with pillarless windows and roof open, and a good sounding CD or the pure V8 Sound satisfying my ears.