1990 Mercedes-Benz S-Class 560 SEL 5.6 Liter Gas from North America

Summary:

The 1990 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL is the best vehicle I've ever owned

I had to replace the exhaust system - $2800.00 for the entire system.

I replaced the awful factory radio with a JVC touch screen CD changer.

I replaced tie rods & brake pads/rotors all around.

I replaced the fuel system/pumps/strainers/filters.

General Comments:

I LOVE this vehicle!!! It is what luxury is all about. It drinks a lot of premium gas, but on the road, nothing I've ever driven compares. You don't buy a car like this to blow people off the line (that's impossible without the AMG mods) but this baby accelerates with the best from 55 mph and up.

I only paid $5300 for mine & I intend to hold onto it as long as I can. I've turned down offers to buy it on a regular basis.

The only things I didn't like were the headlight wipers - they worked every now & then. I removed them & placed a replacement panel in their place.

I am averaging about 11 mpg in the city & 16 mpg on the highway, so it's not a car to be driving to the corner store in.

Review Date: 5th December, 2005

13th Apr 2007, 01:13

The headlight wipers are only activated when the light is on (minimum position light).

Regards,

Claus.

19th Nov 2008, 21:17

I've had my 560SEL for almost two years now, and I love it. Would not recommend it as an economical vehicle for long commutes - it averages about 14 MPG. The car drives like a dream and is very safe.

The car was not well maintained before I took it over, but with a little TLC it's working.

Things that have gone wrong are:

1) Instruments in the instrument cluster faults out at times (probably a faulty electrical connection)

2) Air condition was not working, so I had to get a new compressor put in.

Keep changing the fluids regularly and follow the maintenance schedule.

Love the car -- worth every $$$

29th Mar 2009, 20:29

I really love my 560 S E L.. It was a gift to me in January 2008 as a retirement project. I quit playing with airplanes and now have this project to spend my time on.

I have found several things not working such as cruise control, electric drivers seat, and telescopic steering wheel.

Considering it was a gift, I will have the enjoyment of tinkering with it during my retirement.

I do have a FORD for daily use..

19th Nov 2012, 12:23

Hello =)

Which is better, a 560 or a BMW 750 5.0 V12?

Fastness, comfort, prestige, and anything else you can think of.

Thanks.

1990 Mercedes-Benz S-Class 300sel 3.0 fuel injected petrol from Singapore

Auto gear changes a little slow when cold. Runs perfectly when warmed up.

Thermostat needed change - second one during the last 4 years.

General Comments:

Outstanding comfort and security.

Nimble despite size.

Quality is very durable.

Review Date: 31st May, 2005

28th Jun 2005, 07:58

I am considering buying a 1990 make 300SEL and would like your comments or advice on following :

1) What are some critical checks that I must make before purchase of this car?

2) What magnitude maintenance cost per year?

3) What is the running cost of the car for normal usage on Singapore road?

4) Does the car take 95R gasoline fuel given the rising fuel prices?

1990 Mercedes-Benz S-Class 300SEL GAS M103 from North America

Summary:

The ultimate long distance cruiser

AC needed to be serviced. Very expensive to get it recharged. But once recharged it is frigidly cold.

Chronic oil leak. Seems to be standard issue on these engines. Not a big deal I add a quart every tank and a half.

Rear window lift mechanism has broken twice already. Seems to be a common issue with these cars.

General Comments:

The W126 chassis cars are the last of the engineered to out live you Benz's. I did a lot of research prior to purchasing this car and it paid off for me. Remember its cheaper to pay more for a well taken car than to restore an abused car. My car is absolutely luxurious. The ride is quiet and extremely smooth. A common complaint and I have it too is that the wood creaks. This car is rock solid and gives you a feeling of safety and security. The handsome looks still bring me many compliments. Now I have to admit that the car is under powered. It's a huge car for a 3 ltr engine so merging and on ramps are difficult. Once you get all that steel rolling it's a sweet highway cruiser. I typically cruise at about 75 to 80 mph 3600-4000 rpms. This car just eats up miles and still feels new. One of the main reasons I purchased it was that I live in Virginia Beach and my son lives in Vermont. I make the 12 hour ride and come out of the car feeling fresh with no aches or stiffness. Plus any back seat passengers have an enormous amount of leg room plus their own ac/heater vents. All in all this is a wonderful car that I will keep for many years to come. I am told by my indy that the short blocks simply do not wear out and that the heads only need some attention after 200-250k miles.

Review Date: 4th May, 2005

30th Aug 2005, 00:22

Good feedback on the 1990 300SEL. I also live in the Tidewater, Va area and am interested in the early 90's 420SEL models. My brother in law used to work for the local mercedes dealership and said both the 300 and 400 series were well made and reliable. looking through the cars for sale I'm torn between a 300SE/SEL or 420 SE/SEl models. I like the size of the 400 models. Since I'm looking at late 80's/early 90's models, the mileage varies from low 100K to 200K or more. What models from the two does everyone prefer and why. Its hard to find a good site that gives easy to find reliability data on these cars. Please email feedback to me at gevanglobalservices@cox.net Thanks.