8th Mar 2009, 00:14

Just another update, almost 4 years after buying the car, it's still an amazing machine with about 75,000km on it.

A few little issues have come up but were fixed under the third part warranty. These including a worn check strap for the driver's door, front end bushing and a small oil leak (can't remember the details).

Overall, still a highly recommended car.

19th Jun 2009, 09:21

Just purchased a late 1999 S 500 long wheel base. I bought it privately so a few items don't work.

Mirrors don't fold in when doors are locked, but they do fold when using the button from the inside.

The keyless entry doesn't work when locking the doors with the small button next to the door handle.

The car is awesome to look at and drive, looks great in dark blue with 18" alloys. Loads of room in the rear. It has a presence that few other cars do, less vulgar and more exclusive than a BMW.

It oozes class and quality like only a big Merc can. Love it!

16th Jul 2009, 22:30

I am in the process of purchasing an S500 low mileage. I love the car, and respect the engineering behind it. I have been looking all over the internet for clean and low mileage one, and found just a couple around the area where I live. A bit pricey, still contemplating and hesitant..

Do you know where to find an S500 1999? tried eBay, cars.com, Autotrader, limited number. 2 listings, the ones I am still not sure about. Anywhere other than the internet?

I envy you for having the S500 in your garage.

20th Nov 2010, 00:51

I just purchased a 1999 MBZ S 500 Grand Edition. This is quite a machine. Last year, 100% German made. Only 600 of this edition created as a farewell to the W- 140 production line. Obsidian Black on tan interior. Dark hazed to a green (with age) wood trim throughout. Lighted Mercedes door sills on all four.

The V-8 really pulls in the higher RPM's and sails at high speeds. But, this 2 ton plus vehicle is more enjoyable to ease on the pedal. The transmission is smoooth. The Bose sound system is amazing from classical to jazz to hip-hop. Every seat is first class and safely protected with a high safety rating. It's all there and more, but those of you that do know, know.

25th Nov 2010, 04:35

No offense, but I am disappointed by the fact that Mercedes allow their cars to be used by cab/taxi companies. I fly a lot to Amsterdam for my job. Every time at Schiphol airport, I took a taxi. In most cases, it is a Mercedes.

Last month, I was in a Mercedes driven by a friend and I found myself instinctively searching for the taximeter!

For a long time, Mercedes brand was associated with success and achievement. Over used as taxis, they lose some of their shine.