2012 Mercedes-Benz Vito Review

First year of ownership2012
Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission 2.2 turbodiesel Manual
Previous carMercedes-Benz Vito

Summary:

Feels solidly built, & the interior finally matches the brand

Nothing as yet, although the engine idle is a little erratic sometimes, and the engine sounds like a bag of nails.

Noisy air con.

General Comments:

This is my third of this shape Vito, having previously operated a 2004 & 2007 model for 4 years & approx. 150,000 miles each.

Not too sure about the face lift at the front, but it's growing on me.

The cabin is a nice place to be, it's also quiet, and the standard fit cruise control is a real boon too.

The chrome rims on the instrument dials are a nice touch, & I see they've changed the steering wheel material, as on the previous models it would start to disintegrate at around 80,000 miles. Finally Mercedes have caught up with other manufacturers & supplied integrated Bluetooth, and the buttons on the steering wheel to operate the phone, radio, on-board computer & other functions are a nice touch too. I also like the CD / radio colour LCD display.

The previous model's problem with excessive front tyre wear seems to have been addressed; previously I was lucky to get 20,000 miles; these have 30,000 on them & look good for perhaps another 5,000.

They've fitted higher profile tyres, which whilst improving ride quality has been slightly detrimental to the handling, making the steering feel less accurate in fast corners, but hey it's a van, not a sports car.

It also has slightly taller overall gearing (due to the higher profile tyres?) which no doubt helps with fuel economy, but blunts the 20 BHP advantage it has over my last Vito.

According to the on-board computer, I've averaged 36 MPG over the last 30,000 miles. If driven reasonably gently, I can get near 50 MPG on a run.

I find the seat comfortable, although there isn't enough rearward adjustment for my 5' 10" frame.

Recommended, I like them.

Review Date: 20th July, 2013

21st Jul 2013, 12:50

Vehicle weight and aerodynamics have the greatest impact on fuel economy.

Average review marks: 7.4 / 10, based on 1 review