1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Reviews

1985 Mercury Grand Marquis 5.0L V8 from North America

Model year1985
Engine and transmission 5.0L V8 Automatic
Previous carVolkswagen Golf

Summary:

Still sexy, solid, and reliable at 22!

Replaced EGR Valve at 50000 miles.

All new rubber at 55000 miles.

New shocks upon purchase.

Gas door line broke, had to pry it open and remove lock mechanism.

Trunk button is broken.

Vinyl interior (eg, steering wheel) stains easily.

General Comments:

I couldn't have asked for a better car for the 900 dollars I paid for it!

Purchased in the Southwest at 48,000 miles. Added new tires and shocks and drove it all the way to Missouri before it started to stall.

It ended up being my fault for changing the oil with synthetic (never do that to any car with more than 30,000 miles, the gunk they warn you about actually fills small holes caused by wear in your engine).

Paid around 350 and got a new EGR valve, distributor cap, all new wiring under the hood. A very easy and affordable car to find parts for.

Talk about dependability, this car drove over fifty miles with nearly no oil!

It's darn near indestructable... I was rearended in this car and was awarded 551 dollars for a new bumper and side door. In the process, two $40,000 dollar German vehicles were completely totalled!

The paint is original and faded, its got dents front to back and now that it's back east its started to rust a bit. Yet apparently its desirable - I was nearly carjacked for it the other day.

Fuel costs aren't great, but a car this size is not meant to be driven fast, so you'll save a little that way.

Review Date: 3rd August, 2007

8th Oct 2008, 12:27

I know what you mean with driving it with very little oil - I drove my 1986 Grand Marquis LS for about 3,000 miles without almost anything in it. It was amazing.

18th Jul 2009, 06:52

I have a Marquis. It's been a real lifesaver, I love driving it. I just put in a new starter, alternator, battery, tires, distributor cap & wires, oil change. I don't have to do anything to it now for two years to come. It's paid for itself.

23rd Sep 2009, 21:38

Does anyone know if there is a manufacturer of car seat covers for these land yachts?

1985 Mercury Grand Marquis 5.0L from North America

Model year1985
Engine and transmission 5.0L Automatic
Previous carFord Econoline

Summary:

Poor quality through and through

This car has pretty much fallen apart. The glue-on model numbers fell off in 1998. The headliner is shot. The visor fabric is shot. The rear-winder defroster is shot. The passenger power window has never worked. The plastic door lock buttons have all broken off.

Worst of all, the car just won't start in rainy weather. No one can figure it out. The dealer has given up on it. The garage has given up on it. I can't park it in the garage, because I have no room. It's been towed from the street once because it looked like a wreck.

General Comments:

Poor quality through and through. Just what you'd expect from a domestic automaker. They just don't care, since they can sell enough cars to stay in business.

Review Date: 10th January, 2005

14th Feb 2005, 19:31

First of all, you or the person you bought it off of didn't take care of the car. I owned a '79 Grand Marc and the thing always started for me, and the '84 Caprice wagon I have now actually starts better in the rain and snow than any other weather (still starts up on the first turn though). Second thing, in my personal opinion, domestic cars are safer, cheaper, and more reliable than any import, so get your priorities straight, stay patriotic and buy an American car, and make sure you or the previous owner takes care of it.

1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 302 C.I. V8 from North America

First year of ownership1997
Most recent year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission 302 C.I. V8 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Truck

Summary:

The car is well made, and I walked away from a head on collision unharmed

When I bought the car the driver side wiper arm was broken. This was a five minute repair with a new OEM part. I also changed all of the fluids when I bought the car for maintenance. No other problems occurred with the car. I made one 500 mile road trip and had no problems. The automatic climate control worked well, as did the cruise control.

I felt that this car would be reliable as I had all service records from the previous owner showing it was well maintained. The paint and interior were in remarkable condition considering the mileage. It was garaged.

Unfortunately I was involved in a head on collision only a week after buying the car and it was totalled.

General Comments:

I walked away unharmed from a 35 MPH head on collision with a 1972 LTD. I was wearing my seat belt. I strongly feel that this vehicle is well designed for comfort, and I have first hand experience that it will protect you in an accident. If you want a safe and comfortable car, buy a Grand Marquis.

Review Date: 9th February, 2002

10th Oct 2004, 19:50

I just bought a 1985 mercury marquis LS from my neighbor...101,000 miles. great condition everything works... just a bad dent in passenger side rear door...400.00...did I get a deal!

25th Mar 2005, 19:59

Another great thing about being in an 85 marquis is that the car is a big piece of metal! If a dinky little Honda hit it, then that's too bad for the Honda... :-)

7th Apr 2006, 15:10

My best friend and I are also living proof of how safe these cars are in a major collision. In 1986 when we were teenagers, we avoided a head on collision only to drive right through a brick building. We were still doing approx 55 MPH on impact as estimated by the investigator. Fortunately the building was empty and we both walked away with little more than a split lip and minor bruising from the seat belts. Both of us were in the front seat. This was long before airbags or crumple zones became the norm on cars.

By the way, the building ended up being condemned and demolished. I have now owned 4 Grand Marquis since then and all have been fantastic cars and fortunately accident free. I currently own a 2004 model.

1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 5.0 (302) V-8 from North America