Give us the Aussie Ford Falcon!
- This is my 3rd "Panther platform" Ford. Very reliable except for the usual Ford gremlins...
- Brakes are under spec and prone to warping - my 85GM suffered from this and I believe the problem persists with new models.
- In 97 Ford replaced the metal intake manifold with a plastic one that was prone to leaks - way to go Ford!
- Power window actuators fail - expensive - $300 a piece
- Electrical glitches - heated rear window, headlight delay switch.
- Brake lines routed alongside frame behind D/side front wheel where they catch all the debris, slush etc and rot out - why does Ford do this!!?
- Gasoline odour in car? Fuel filler pipe is routed behind D/side rear wheel - stones over time will perforate pipe allowing fumes to escape - this problem has been around since 1978!!!
- Terrible traction in snow (I often wonder how the police manage with their Crown Vics). Top of the line snow tires and a sack of sand in the trunk is the only safe way to safely drive a G. Marquis in the winter
- Understressed motor can rack up huge mileages with ease (unless of course the plastic manifold gives out).
- Nevertheless, frustrating though it can be, this has to be the best used car bargain out there.
- Limo like ride - quiet, cushy, relaxing. Lots of room - huge trunk - makes most other cars seem like bone shakers.
- Good performance 0-60 in 9secs. Good highway gas mileage (around 30 mpg) Not great around town.
- Bodywork stands up well (some rust will develop around wheel arches if not oiled).
- Interior has been cheapened over the years - looks bare bones compared with my 85 G.M.
- Love the separate chassis construction - built like a tank and one of the safest cars on the road.
- I am a fan of these cars, but shake my head at Fords apparent refusal to fix on going faults. If you ever wonder why this Company is "circling the toilet" look no further than the way it treats its North American "bread and butter" market. Europeans get the class leading Mondeo and new Focus - we get a warmed over Mazda. The Aussies get the hot Falcon - we get the orphan Ford 500.
- I think there is a future for the G. Marquis - the rugged design lends itself to Police and Limo use. However, Ford will have to get serious about upgrading the interior, brakes and engine (225 hp from a V.8 - please!).
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 27th January, 2008