8th Sep 2017, 07:33

I would call it an air intake vs ram air.

8th Sep 2017, 12:55

What a wonderful review! I own a 77 Lincoln Continental Town Car and even to this day, it amazes me on how well drives and rides for its age. I can't believe cars were even built like this; with all the chrome stainless trim and massive proportions, these old 70s Grand Marquis and Lincolns were works of art. These things look like tanks next to the majority of anything built now; nothing else compares as far as extreme comfort goes either. These were the cars to own back in the day.

8th Sep 2017, 15:44

Are you sure on that? My thoughts are the vents at base of windshield. That is a high pressure area. Years ago in 50s you saw cars with a pop up vent at the base of the windshield. You pushed a handle inside the car and it popped up. Great air flow, but also bugs even with its screening. I actually miss the small wing windows that tilted out and were in the doors. GM advertised that it had Astro Ventilation! My old cars have a choice of vent or air. My new cars have auto climate control that you set the dual digital temp numbers for the driver and for the passenger. You can be cold on one side or hot on other.

9th Sep 2017, 14:13

Some cars did have the "air intake" down on the front fenders instead of the base of the windshield; for example, Studebakers in the 1950s had those little doors that would pop out when you opened the vent.

10th Sep 2017, 02:33

Excellent review - really captures the owner experience of one of these. GM and Chrysler (generally) had better handling vehicles in this segment, but Ford had them covered for luxury. And Ford's product quality was class leading as well on the full-size platform at this point.

One tip - keep on top of oil changes - 351/400M engines don't exactly have bulletproof bottom ends - more than a few have had problems as soon as 50,000 miles, sometimes taking out the engine.

To that end, keep an eye on oil pressure via a gauges instead of that wonderful Ford invention you noted, the "Engine" light. Who the hell OK'd THAT wonder ?!?!?!

I would not want to see less than 50 PSI at the RPM it shifts out of at the top of each gear - e.g. 4000 RPM. This is not a Small-Block Chevy.

If you do go 4-barrel carb (good idea as these engines have great "lungs", and you already have dual exhaust), it wouldn't hurt to have as much as 80 PSI as you start pushing beyond 4000 RPM...

I'm not sure why the FMX gets a bad rap - it can handle a stock 400, and hardcore Ford guys tell me it has lower power losses than a C6. If you do go 4-barrel, you might think about a shift kit - that's a big vehicle. The only caveat is it is already slipping - it's too late for a shift kit at that point.

I offer the above, as I wish someone would have warned me about these issues before I ran into problems firsthand ;)

Enjoy!!!