1988 Mercury Topaz L 2.3L from North America

Summary:

A cheap, low performace beast

Battery died.

Alternator belt broke 3 times in 1 month.

Oxygen sensor wasn't working...

Needed many small parts replaced.

Paint worn badly.

Transmission problems.

General Comments:

Well, I can't complain much because this car has been used a lot, my only real problems with it are... Well first off it is a terrible, I mean terrible performance car. It handles like a brick and the acceleration is disgusting. One bright side is its the most comfortable car I've ever been in, the seats are all the way back, but still usable for driving,they're great!

Review Date: 8th April, 2003

1988 Mercury Topaz GS 2.3L from North America

Summary:

Junk car, not roadworthy

This car was a real lemon. It spent more time at the mechanic than on the road.

Constant oil leaks coming from the front crankshaft seal (replaced 5 times to no avail), shocks gave way, brakes went dead on me so could not brake on the highway (thank goodness no one was near me), oil pan had to be changed (???), constant brake checking, and finally the transmission gave out at 145000 km. It would have cost over $1000 to replace it with a rebuilt, but I scrapped it.

General Comments:

Never buy a Ford if you want to keep your sanity.

QUALITY IS JOB 1???

Review Date: 19th June, 2002

1988 Mercury Topaz L 2.3L from North America

Summary:

This car loves abuse

The most problematic area of this car was the A/C. After the second summer the A/C compressor was blown and had to be replaced which was quite costly, yet was blown again the summer after.

The cloth seats are pretty cheap. After a few years the color starts to fade and whats worse is when it gets wet it stinks like a wet dog! Next time, I would definitely get the leather seats in this performance vehicle.

The paint is not pretty. The gloss coating was thin and soon disappeared. This sounds negative, but I like it without the reflective gloss. I've evaded many cops because of this!

Rust! If I didn't know better I thought cancer can spread to cars too! Patches of rust were eating my car alive! Last year, if you were sitting in the driver seat you could imitate Fred Flint-stone. Rust ate half the driver-side floor panel away!

General Comments:

Even though the car sounds like it has many problems I'd say I'm the one to blame. I stopped caring for it after its 8th birthday.

The engine purrs like a lion. Its still got plenty of power probably because I put in Gold or Ultra94. Only the best gas for this beast! Maximum performance!

The suspension is of high quality. I love driving offroad with my Impreza, but still cannot beat the feel of my Topaz running through muddy terrain or ripping up gravel pits! This car is tough like a tank! This machine could have probably won the war for Hitler if sent back to the future! Seriously!

As for the off road, I have hit a couple of trees head-on, but no major damage was done to the car. I'm amazed at the durability of the Topaz. Trees were bent over, even uprooted, but the Topaz remains immaculate!

This car is definitely worth the money. You would think after so much abuse a car of this statue would be found dead in a ditch, but you're wrong. It likes the beatings you give it and yearns for more. I'd doubt it would last this long if I drove it like an old lady. I think this car craves adventure as much as I do. We can never get enough of it.

Review Date: 7th February, 2002

1988 Mercury Topaz L 2.3L HO from North America

Summary:

Medium performance, medium comfort, 100 percent reliable

Nothing serious has ever gone wrong with the car.

The only things I have HAD to replace since I bought it are the right front wheel bearing and the head gasket..

General Comments:

I have only had it since Feb 24 2000 and I drive it hard. I have put 24,900km on it in 6 month I have owned it.

The previous owner had the car since new in 1988. The only things he had changed were brakes, alternator, and battery. Everything else was original. Like I said before, I have only had to change the right front wheel bearing and the head gasket. I drive it hard and am not ashamed to admit it.

The car was repainted 6 years ago by the previous owner. It's in better condition than most newer cars. There is no rust anywhere. I always keep it washed and waxed..

Things I have done cause I wanted to.. not cause I have had to do: tinted windows, new brakes, drums and rotors, shift rod, front and rear struts and springs, performance exhaust, high performance ignition parts, all new gaskets from the head and up. 2 sets of tires. Like I said I am hard on it.

Also a performance clutch. There is a lot more too. But can't remember all of it.

I could walk outside and basically touch the key and it will start right up. I am not going to say the top speed, but I will say that it shuts down at about 210km/h on the highway. :-) I race also in towns.. I have had Monte's, Mustangs, S-10's and Civics race me.. but they back down.. So I guess my car must be good! :-) I have no complaints.

Execpt I can't fit my 1600watt subs in the trunk. But that's only a small problem.

Review Date: 28th August, 2000