1988 Mercury Topaz L 2.3L from North America

Summary:

Awesome first car, if you can find one in good shape

I just bought my Topaz, but the thing is in amazing condition. It has very little rust on it and the little bit there is is around the bottom of the doors. It still looks great after all these years!

The A/C is gone, but that's OK, that's why they put windows in cars.

The only other real issue with it is that the fuel gauge doesn't work properly. It sits over full for about half a tank and then starts to drop fast. Usually it is time for a refill about the time the gauge shows 3/4 of a tank because it is actually around a 1/4 of a tank.

General Comments:

My Topaz is an amazing first car, easy on gas, good looking and not a fuel guzzler. It is 19 years old and I have about 225000 kms left on it so she should be around for a couple of years longer.

The steering can be difficult, but that mostly comes from the fact that I am used to power steering.

I am more than pleased with this car. It's a workhorse that can handle abuse all while looking good. Kudos to Ford for this one.

Review Date: 25th July, 2007

1988 Mercury Topaz GS 2.3 4 Cylinder from North America

Summary:

I love my little 67,000 mile Topaz!

Nothing yet, I've only had the car for 2 days. One part does need to be fixed though, this I knew about upon buying the car, I'm not sure the part, but I know it has something to do with the steering.

I was told also when I bought it that something was wrong with the right directional, but that turned out to be a false statement.

This car is in good condition, aside from some small patches of surface rust, nothing I'd lose sleep over though.

General Comments:

Basically, I love my Mercury. Everything works on it, all the electronics (which surprised me because when I had an 89 Escort, the interior lights didn't work, nor did the clock), all the mechanical gadgets, and even the All Wheel Drive system works, however it has a sort of "clunk" sound when first engaged.

For $600, I believe I got a good deal on this car. With only 67,000 original miles, I know this car has a lot of life left. Once I touch up the spots on the body that are kind of rusty, it'll be great!

Review Date: 25th December, 2003

30th Jan 2004, 09:04

I bought my 89 Topaz with standard transmission brand new in Chillwack, B.C. It is now 2004 and my Topaz has 252,000 Km on it. The secret to long life is regular maintenance and CHANGING THE OIL. I love this car although it looks abused. I have never put much effort in keeping it clean or worrying if it gets dents or scratches. Recently over the last couple of years, I have been putting an average of $1000 a year into it. Alternator, radiator, struts, belts, but it sure is a lot cheaper than buying new. The money I save on insurance would easily be more than that. I have not had a car payment since 1993 and loving it. This car could die tomorrow and it would not owe me a cent. My Son is turning 18 this year and moving away from home. I have promised him a car and decided to give him the Topaz. I sure am going to miss... that old car!!!

1988 Mercury Topaz GS 2.3 from North America

Summary:

An OK First Car...possibly. Maybe not

Usual stuff including:

Rear Struts. Bouncy! Bouncy! Had to change them, or get a new sick bag.

Engine: Frequent stalling. Changed many parts, but still persisted. (New owner said it was the injectors.) I was always pleasantly surprised when it started.

Transmission: Delayed shifting. This just got worse and worse, and was the final straw for getting rid of it.

General Comments:

I found myself talking to this "thing", especially on very cold mornings.

The engine would slowly crank over and decided it did NOT want to leave the warmth and comfort of the garage.

My pathetic pleadings and outbursts of anger did nothing to persuade it to fire up. My wife had to be dragged out of bed to drive me to work.

An OK first car which can be purchased very cheap. Though not something I would want my daughter to drive.

With luck you will get one that has had numerous parts replaced. Probably from some schmuck like me. I would get the V6 model next time although these are quite hard to come by. The 2.3 is a definite no, no.

Review Date: 21st May, 2003