1997 Mercury Villager Reviews - Page 2 of 3

1997 Mercury Villager from North America

Year of manufacture1996
Most recent distance120000 miles
Previous carJeep Cherokee

Summary:

Love it

The only problem, that I had, was the hatch didn't always shut properly. My husband took it apart and redid it. It took him about 1hour to do, but I didn't have any problems with it after that.

General Comments:

I bought a 1997 Mercury Villager April of 2004. When I purchased the van it already had 107,000 miles on it. It didn't leak oil, anti-freeze or any other fluids. The seats and carpet were in near mint condition. I drove it on several family vacations. I loved the rear air conditioning and so did my kids. Three days before Thanksgiving this year I was rear-ended by a large vehicle and shoved into another large vehicle. My van was totaled out to the tune of $5200. I cried the day I found out it was a loss. I wish I could find another van just like that one.

Review Date: 14th December, 2005

1997 Mercury Villager GS from North America

Engine and transmission Don't Know
Previous carChrysler New Yorker

Summary:

Overall a good buy... so far

General Comments:

I've had mine since October 04, and no problems other than the brake light going on and off, but I'm going to check the brakes soon.

When I bought it from a private owner, he told me that he changed all the fluids and got a tune up, but I don't think that was true. I went ahead and did it all anyway, and when I replaced the fuel filter and air filter, there was a notable improvement in what I already thought was a fine running vehicle.

The only thing that bothers me is I can't figure out how to take out the back seat... we don't need the seats at all... I've got the middle one out, and I know the back can slide all the way up, but I still can use that extra foot or so for hauling stuff.

All in all... really nice ride. OH.. I forgot.. the driver's side door lock sometimes does not engage so I would have to push it manually.

BUT HERE'S ONE THING I HATE AND WANT TO CHANGE.. IF SOMEONE KNOWS HOW, EMAIL "SWINGPAR@MSN.COM" and that is the remote control. The car won't start unless it's opened by the remote.. are all these cars made this way?? It's a pain and dangerous, should I or the wife need to drive away in a hurry in the event of a mugging or something... Anyway... I don't like it.

Review Date: 28th February, 2005

7th Feb 2012, 11:39

I own a '97 Villager with 158k miles. I always use the key to unlock the door and start the engine. So, I don't need the remote to start the van. Do you have an alarm system? Try disabling it.

1997 Mercury Villager from North America

First year of ownership1997
Previous carPlymouth Voyager

Summary:

The van scores high in reliability

Brake pads have had to be replaced twice.

Door locks don't work that well. Oftentimes the sliding door locks while you're trying to open it, then refuses to lock when you press the remote.

General Comments:

I've been very pleased with the reliability of this car. Overall, we've just had to do routine maintenance stuff. I've been told by the dealership that some of their Mercury Villagers, which are used as courtesy vehicles, are running up to 200K miles.

Review Date: 14th January, 2005

22nd Feb 2005, 02:50

I just bought a 96' Villager. It runs superb, and it has 210,000 miles, still runs smooth as if it only had 50K. With some good keep-up of this vehicle, I plan on having it around for an addition 50+k miles.

1997 Mercury Villager GS from North America

Previous carFord Villager

Summary:

It's a good van, but it has its problems

As of July 9th 2004 my 1997 Mercury Villager has been at the dealer. They are really having a hard time trying to figure out why the check engine light keeps coming on about every 50-100 miles. They think that they got the problem fixed and then the light comes back on. They have had the van for almost two (2) months and have not got a clue what could be wrong with it. Any idea's? they have checked everything, including haveing ford rep. from detroit to come and look at it as well.

General Comments:

This is really a good van.

However it does have its problems so be aware!!

Review Date: 26th August, 2004

21st Sep 2004, 15:04

I also have that van and the same problem which cannot be resolved so I just cut a piece of black electrical tape and put it over that annoying light prob solved.

3rd Oct 2004, 20:50

We Also owned the same van. The dealership had ours for almost 2 months for the same engine light trouble, they got it to go off, only to have it come back on while on our way back home (35 miles away). But by then the dealership was already closing, so they said pull over, shut it off and let it cool, we may wreck the engine. So Tuesday Morning, we had to towed back, they said it was the Transmission sensor. We finally go that van back and let it go for whatever we could get out of it, it only had 19,000 miles on it. Good luck--hope you get it fixed, otherwise I suggest get rid of it.