2001 MG F 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Not bad!

There are a few problems that I have had with the MGF:

1. There is a leak near the drivers side wing mirror.

2. The illumination light on the dashboard are very dim (yes I have increased the setting!!)

Apart from that (touch wood), I have had no problems with the MGF.

Don't get me started on the MGTF!!

General Comments:

I have had very few problems with the MGF.

Good handling, nippy, fun and reliable car.

Review Date: 7th December, 2005

2001 MG F Mk II 1.8i from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A labour of love

The car became lop-sided due to leaks in the hydrogas suspension cylinders at the rear. This required two (lengthy) stays with the MG dealer, though the problem seems to have been finally rectified under warranty.

Passenger door jammed after 6 months and wouldn't unlock. This was repaired in an hour under warranty.

Boot leaks and driver's door window seal leaks a lot when raining heavily. Window appears to need re-alignment.

Glovebox rattles furiously on even average roads.

Uneven tyre wear despite proper wheel alignment and balancing.

General Comments:

Like most MGF owners, I agree that the car is one of the most fun roadsters on the market and offers superb mid-engined, rear-wheel drive handling and good-quality ride, coupled with sweet, raspy engines and classy, refined looks inside and out.

Unfortunately, MG still needs to address some build-quality issues. I know of so many blown head gaskets that I'm always anticipating a head gasket failure myself - this doesn't inspire confidence. My unrelenting suspension problem also killed some of my enthusiasm for the car. Luckily, the 3-year warranty now standard and good dealer service I encountered (Chapman's Kildare) compensate somewhat.

The MGF represents a clear trade-off: it is one of the most individual roadsters with a well-known, proper sporting heritage behind it and bags of character. However, the car is a bit of a labour of love and can test its owner's patience due to ongoing reliability and build-quality issues.

Review Date: 1st October, 2003

2001 MG F 1.8 1.8i from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Good car, bad reliability, worse dealers

Rust appeared after six months.

Radiator failed at 6000 miles.

Heater failed at two months.

Various minor problems.

General Comments:

A good looking car.

Car goes well when running.

The dealers are terrible, making me wait for 5 days for a new radiator, keeping me waiting in the showroom.

Review Date: 30th June, 2003