2006 Mitsubishi Colt Ralliart Type R 1.5 turbo from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

CVT not recommended

Suspension ball joint required replacement

CVT whining leading to power loss and heading toward transmission failure according to the qualified mechanic who eventually took it off our hands.

General Comments:

It was a nice small vehicle in many respects. Allowed for use of the back via folding seats, almost a station wagon. Good performance generally for a small car.

The CVT is not recommended. Even while the fluid remains pink and looks healthy, based on our experience, if you have any weight in the vehicle and drive it hard, it is likely to overheat the gearbox and bearings will begin to fail. This causes the whining to begin. It was an unfortunate vehicle for us, losing us a significant amount of money in the resale.

While I can't evidence this, my personal opinion is that the CVT gearbox is not really mated well to the turbo engine and can't really handle being pushed. They don't like heat. It is possible if you do regular fluid changes and don't put it under strain, that it will be OK. However it makes less sense to give a car aggressive styling, a performance engine, and then mate it to a gearbox that isn't really up to task.

Gearbox fluid was changed during ownership several times.

Shame because I really wanted to like this car. Get the manual version because the engine is strong.

Review Date: 17th May, 2019

2006 Mitsubishi Colt DI-D CZ2 1.5 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Excellent little family car - well built and very economical

Nothing, just wear and tear - tyres and wiper blades!

General Comments:

Positives:

+ Fantastic economy. We average approx 60 mpg, 50% town/50% motorway. When I drive carefully, I get 70 mpg.

+ Build quality - interior and exterior feel solid and very well put together.

+ High seating position very comfortable, even for a 6 footer like me.

+ Very pleasant, roomy driving environment with well layed out instrumentation.

+ Plenty of legroom in the back for adults.

+ Nice features like steering wheel stereo controls.

+ Engine actually has some grunt if you work it and keep within the power bands. Overtaking on an A-road is perfectly do-able, but that's not really what this car is about.

Negatives:

- Handling is nothing special (compared to say a Focus), but completely acceptable for a small family car.

- Very small boot, but I think the rear seats fold flat (not tried it yet).

Review Date: 6th December, 2009

28th Mar 2010, 07:45

Update to my initial review:

Still really like the car, but I must report on the rip-off cost of Mitsubishi replacement parts.

In an admittedly self-inflicted incident, we damaged an ABS sensor on one of the front wheels. The cost of replacement parts for this was over £500! Adding the outrageous cost of labour (including the rip-off diagnostic tests) from main dealers, and we're up to £800.

I'll be sticking to Ford next time - its ubiquity does have benefits - you can get them fixed in pretty much any garage, and the parts don't cost the earth.

2006 Mitsubishi Colt Plus 1.5 MiVec from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

I have never loved a car more than this one - and I've had many

None, really.

I broke off the radio aerial by forgetting to unscrew it before going into the car wash (NZ$ 40 for a new one, yikes!).

And I blew the cigarette lighter fuse by trying to inflate an air mattress electrically the wrong way round.

So, none of the car's fault, really.

General Comments:

This is easily the best and the most likable car I've ever owned! If it disappeared on me, I would buy one exactly like it again.

Things I like about this car:

Tremendously comfortable front seats.

Wonderful CVT transmission.

Great steering.

I love the styling - what a quirky little thing!

At 100km/h, the car ticks over at barely 2000 rpm. That makes it a great, relaxed highway cruiser.

Fuel consumption is sensationally low - I get 5.6 L/ 100km regular fuel in everyday driving.

It's possible to sleep in the back of it - I've gone on holiday with it, sleeping on a mattress with the dimensions 190 x 90 cm in the back with the seats folded down. It was perfectly comfortable.

The boot is huge, and can be made even "huger" by folding down seats. I've picked up a tall fridge freezer with this car!

Review Date: 19th September, 2008

29th Sep 2008, 09:26

Thanks for the interesting review. I am also a proud owner of a colt plus for about 1 year. I mostly agree with the review but I would like to find out more about how you achieve 5.6L/KM. My best is 6.5L/KM, do you have any tips, please email me tanhangkoon@yahoo.com.sg.

3rd May 2009, 02:47

Hi.

I drive the same car in SGP since Sep 2006 and never did 5.6L/100km. My very best was 6.5L to a 100km. How did you do it?

Agree that this petite car can carry a huge things like a fridge. I did precisely that too.

Despite the relatively low fuel consumption, the cost of normal servicing parts (e.g oil/air filters/spark-plugs.brake-pads) are much higher compared to other same range models. Guess it attributes from the high JPY currency exchange rates in present times.

Cheers!

13th Jul 2009, 18:44

Hi there.

I just bought an '06 CVT Colt from my Dad, he drove it exclusively between the Gold Coast and Brisbane on the highway to work and back, and regularly got 5.6L/100km economy. So he covered about 450km a week, almost totally highway km. If you have a fair proportion of city (stop/start) driving you'll miss out on that economy.

24th Feb 2010, 03:35

Hi, you guys are very very lucky, I get approx 7~8L/100km with my Colt plus in city driving and mainly with the air con on...? Is it because I have the turbo Ralliart version???

6th Jul 2018, 07:45

Running a cold air con in very hot weather can increase your fuel consumption by up to 25%.

A turbo can reduce fuel consumption by 2-5% ish if you drive normally. But turbos encourage most people to drive more aggressively to get that "woosh" sound, which further increases fuel consumption.