2000 Mitsubishi Diamante Reviews

Year of manufacture2000
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 3.5 V6 Automatic
Previous carMitsubishi Diamante

Summary:

I have received more value than one could expect, based on the price I paid for the car

I have a 2000 Diamante Mitsubishi that is failing to provide me with heat. The heat core was replaced in 2009. When the heat dial is place at every level, the air ratio increases and just blows cold air. Oh, the air conditioning works fine.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is and where I need to go to repair the problem, so I can get some heat in my car? It is cold out here. The seat warmer is working fine.

In addition, my Traction Control (TCL) just illuminated; should I take it to a dealer or can I fix the problem myself? The car has over 109,998 miles on the odometer.

General Comments:

I had the car since 2000, and I am the original owner. Since purchasing the vehicle, I have invested a vast amount of money for maintenance, and so far, it has paid off for me. The problem I am experiencing is something that comes with age. The older the car, the more attention it will require from time to time.

The good thing about being the original owner is, I am able to show proof of every bit of maintenance that was done on the car. I have a 2 1/2 inch binder, where I keep all of the receipts of the work, which was completed on the car, a historical file. This way, I am knowledgeable as to what needs to be done, and when it needs to be done.

I would recommend the same approach to every new or old car owner; start keeping your own records.

Review Date: 12th January, 2011

2000 Mitsubishi Diamante LS from North America

Year of manufacture1999
First year of ownership1999
Previous carChevrolet Silverado

Summary:

Heater core is the death of this car!!!

Seats are starting to wear badly.

Same problem as most people that have this car - HEATER CORE leaking for the second time. WOW, how can they make a car with the same issue and not be recalled?

Other than that, the car is really good, reliable, and no other problems.

Review Date: 16th December, 2009

2000 Mitsubishi Diamante LX 3.5 from North America

Year of manufacture1999
First year of ownership1999
Most recent distance200000 miles
Previous carMitsubishi Diamante

Summary:

Not a disappointment

Power antenna mast at 60,000, did not repair.

Heater core leak at 65,000, used Leak Stop to fix.

Standard maintenance on timing belt at 100,000.

Small leak at oil pan at 150,000, used Leak Stop to fix.

Runs strong, rides good with 1 or 2, changing rear shocks now for heavier ride comfort.

Changed the oil regularly at 3,000 miles, engine now starting to smoke slightly at lengthy idle on very hot days.

General Comments:

Had 94' Diamante, it smoked heavy due to valve guides wear at 200,000, the 2000 model is doing much better. I would consider buying another if made in Japan, but not in Australia.

Thanks to all those who sell parts on Internet, Mitsubishi is charging too high a price for replacement parts due to car model discontinuance.

Review Date: 19th November, 2008

2000 Mitsubishi Diamante SEi 3.5 V 6 from Australia and New Zealand

Model year2001
Year of manufacture2000
Engine and transmission 3.5 V 6 Automatic
Previous carDaewoo Nubira

Summary:

Great car, nice ride

Totally perfect; everything works.

When I bought in October 2005. I received all service records; it was an ex company car.

I replaced all fluids (oil, transmission oil, water and brakes), fitted new pads all round, the rears I believe were original. In NZ our cars are tested each 6 months; my tester says it is mint.

I love it, it's the best car I have owned.

I still have my 9 year old Daewoo wagon for a runabout and shopping, but wouldn't go on the highway, no way.

General Comments:

The Diamanti SEi is Australian built; it's heavy on gas around town or towing.

But come to a trip, it comes into it's own, cruise at 100 or 105km's, and the computer shows 9.7 ltrs per 100k's with the air con on.

The cruise control is better than a Playstation.

Power for passing is first class.

I cannot believe the negative comments on these cars; two friends have older ones with high Kms and they love them too.

Love the leather, the sound system, the big boot (trunk).

This was a $50K plus car new in 2001. I paid under $10k in 2005; what a deal.

Review Date: 7th February, 2008

8th Feb 2008, 05:14

Most of the negative comments about the Magna/Diamante come from people in the US, not Australia or NZ.

The single biggest complaint relates to leaking heater cores. Never heard of this problem here in Australia. It might have something to do with the severe winter weather common in the US that we are fortunate not to have with our mild winters, so the issue of antifreeze and heater cores is not much of a problem in our part of the world.

The only problem I have had with my 1999 Magna that is common to the American drivers complaining, is that of the antenna breaking. In my case only the mast broke, but my mechanic ordered one in and the next day fitted it in 10 minutes, total cost $50.

Overall, little has gone wrong with my Magna in 2 years of ownership. A pleasure to drive and excellent value on the used car market. You did well for getting yours for under $10K.

14th Jun 2010, 01:26

Not true. Mine has gone great. And that is why you never let the dealer look after a good car.

The reason the cars are cheap is because they are, catch up on repairs. But the simple thing is just keep on servicing it, and replace the odd part with generic.

To trash a car that has good comments from NZ and OZ is not needed.

Mac.

27th Nov 2010, 22:51

I own a 2003 Diamante/Verada GTVi, and after previously owning the late model Commodore and Fairmont alternatives, I was worried that another Australian assembled car would give me endless grief; it hasn't.

The Commodore's engine was extremely coarse, the noise was intrusive, the auto was tragic, NEVER in the right gear at any stage, and when asked to kick down, would take an age.

The Fairmont's drivetrain was only slightly better; the auto only seemed better because of the bigger torque reserves.

The independent rear in the Holden was shocking, they had no camber adjustment, which meant new tires every 6 months, and the wear was restricted to the very inside 10 mils, so you had no idea they were worn.

The Fairmont's electrics were poor, replacing window regulators and door locks constantly.

It's no wonder something like 40% of new Commodores and Falcons have problems in their warranty period.

Save yourself the hassle, My Diamante goes harder, has a brilliant auto, full of fruit and it all still works.. Maybe the journalists should write about owner experiences after a few k's, but then again, I think you're born into either the blue camp or the red camp over there.