1989 Mitsubishi Lancer Reviews

1989 Mitsubishi Lancer GLX 1.5 from Philippines

Most recent year of ownership2000
Previous carMitsubishi Lancer

I got my Lancer GLX with GMB color in 1989 brand new. It over heated after 2 weeks. It was a family car, so me and brothers shared it until it was given to me 3 years after. I had it for 11 years, and loved it because of the memories it brought.

I had finished my medical school, including my residency, with it by my side. I started dating my wife to be using this car until we had 2 children. My wife later drove it, but had a problem with the steering because it's not powered.

It later started burning the engine oil, so that it smokes if you go fast. Overheating engine was always recurrent until I sold the car.

General Comments:

I am now in the US with my family, and we have a 2009 Nissan Murano and a 2010 Honda Pilot, but this car is my FIRST LOVE. I still wonder who owns it now or is it in the junk yard. If given the chance, I will rebuy this car and restore it. I sold it in Bohol in 2000. Its plate number is GDA 463.

Review Date: 10th March, 2010

1989 Mitsubishi Lancer GLX 1.5 from Philippines

First year of ownership1989

Summary:

Our old but reliable transport

The car always overheated even though we had replaced the radiator of this car several times.

Ignition problems. The car always had a hard time starting. Sometimes we think battery is the problem, but it is not. The car was pushed several times because of this problem.

The aircon. We can only set the aircon on low. The reason why is that when you put it on high the engine will hard time picking up. But the aircon only broke once.

The paint of the car faded even though the car was not yet 10 years old.

The wiper has a very noisy sound. When it broke and had it replaced the sound was still there.

General Comments:

This was our car in my preschool to my 4th Grade days. My parents would call this the "green car" even though the paint had faded.

We had so much memories with this car from being the grandpa's run when he had health emergency to being to our almost everyday car.

Even though this had frequent trips to the repair shop this car was very reliable.

When I talk about this car from time to time I sometimes call this "PLY".

I like cars the way I like beautiful girls, and I really love cars of the late 1980s and the early 1990s!

Review Date: 25th June, 2009

1989 Mitsubishi Lancer GLX 1.5 gasoline from Philippines

Engine and transmission 1.5 gasoline Manual

Summary:

Old, but reliable!

1. Muffler fell once.

2. Frequent overheating.

3. Air-con broke down once.

4. Something wrong happened with the electricals.

5. Hard starting.

General Comments:

Although our Lancer had frequent trips to the service center, I would say this car is very reliable and efficient in everyday commuting.

The car is not just reliable and efficient. It is also has a great performance both in city and leisure driving.

If you still have this car up to now, proper care and maintenance will let your Lancer live longer and maintain its great performance.

Review Date: 6th April, 2007

1989 Mitsubishi Lancer GL 1.3 from Philippines

Year of manufacture1989

Summary:

A budget car that gives you passion in driving

A 16 year old car that still rocks. I drove it hard, but maintains it well. I pamper it with synthetic grade engine oil, replaced the stock 13" tires with a six spoked, size 15" of a Mitsubishi Galant V.R. version. steering became hard, but nonetheless drivable. it has good A/C cooling when the freon is sufficient. (i replaced the R-12 type with the more ozone-friendly 134a) and it works perfectly fine. It can still surprise newer cars with bigger engines with its (sure-footed driving) 150kph+ on the newly rehabilitated & spanking North Luzon Expressway. fuel return on long trips are still impressive 13km/liter. I gas it up with shell-Velocity. I got it from my cousin for 110k. I don't have plan to sell it in the near future.

General Comments:

See to appreciate. it has nice Pioneer stereo with 4 6x9 speakers. (no amps) but a good whiff of bass sound when playing RnB music. Momo steering wheel, Illuminated Type "R" pedals, 3"inch Autogauge tachometer and a free flow mufflers that roars like a "Sarao" jeepney makes it a more sporty looking sedan than it ought to be.

Review Date: 5th September, 2005

13th Jan 2009, 19:36

Bro, I find interest in your blogs on how you pamper and take care of your car. Actually, I just recently acquired the same year model 1989 GLX for my first car. Since I am not that familiar about cars yet, I may need some guidance from you.

Initially, I need to know what's the best fuel for my car? I was advised to use Petron's XCS95. Are there other equivalent for this Fuel from other Fuel companies - Shell, Caltex, Petrol, Flying V, PTT? I just want to make sure I will be using the right fuel for my car.

Thanks for any advice.

I would appreciate more car care tips from you.