2003 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Ralley 2.0 i-4 from North America

Summary:

Great car, but runs so smooth it's easy to forget maintenence

Transmission stopped shifting partially thanks to taking the car off road racing.

From the time I got the car my "check engine light was on" but dealer told me to ignore, I did and it's ran great.

General Comments:

Excellent handling with slight modifications, interior is great, exterior looks great, I love having people stare at my car as I drive by. stock rims look great on the body as well.

Review Date: 6th October, 2005

17th Jan 2008, 02:18

I to had own a 2003 mits oz rally and loved the car, I had owned it from 2003 with 4 miles on it and traded it in 2007 with 32,000 miles for a 2008 lancer. I never had any problems with car until 1 week before trade in.. my alternator went up in, but other than that I never had a problem and car was driven daily drove and handles nicely... matter of fact though I also love my newer lancer I still love the older one better.

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII FQ330 2.0 turbo from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A road legal world rally car

To date, nothing has gone wrong. The car is still fairly new, but it still looks immaculate.

I don't expect the tyres to last much longer though.

General Comments:

My previous car was a Civic Type R, now that was fast and on a dry day it handled well with predictable understeer.

The Evo on the other hand is totally awesome, the acceleration is fanatical and quite addictive.

I've driven 400bhp Skylines and they are nothing in comparison. The 550bhp would take some beating off the line though.

Where the Evo really shows its colours is on the twisties. This car handles like nothing I've ever driven before. I've driven Escort Cossworths, 400 and 550bhp skylines and Imprezza STi's all of which are not a patch in the road holding department.

A friends father said "Last time I went round a corner like that I was on a ride at Disney World"

The level of trim in this road legal rally car is also great. Leather and suede Recaro's, Momo steering wheel and gear knob. Lovely.

Finaly, the brakes. Wow. Brembo's all round make stopping as easy as speeding, not that I would speed officer.

Review Date: 18th May, 2004

27th May 2004, 10:28

These cars are beginning to look dated! I have been a fan of Evo's for many years, but since the Evo6 I have looked down on these cars?

They are very very expensive to repair when out of warranty; servicing costs are scandalous.

As soon as you have have forked out the 29k to buy one and you've rolled out of the forecourt, you can kiss goodbye to 6/7 grand!!!

If you have the 30k to spend, buy a Merc SL or BMW 330ci as they hold value.

Clio V6's are gorgeous, and although they maybe slower than an Evo, servicing is cheaper, the 3.0 litre V6 engine sounds great, they will turn more heads, and they are also more sort after? Every wannabe has a banged out'93 Scooby Turbo or Evo. Be different!

If you must buy an older Evo6 GSR '99, get a good one mind. This was a proper rally car, not a modern family saloon with a few extra pieces of plastic added. As for interiors, the Evo 8 has a cheap plasticy one. Look at Alfa Romeo or Merc for style, not Japanese crap! AN EVO 8 IS ALL GO... NO SHOW.

15th Oct 2004, 10:14

In reply to the comment above, I suppose it depends if you buy a car to drive, or to look at/boast about/be seen in.

As a pure driving machine, the Evo will blow away any of your suggested alternatives. Who cares about the badge prestige or interior plastics?

27th Oct 2005, 14:05

Yeah, I'll get some french crap that's all show and no go. For me personally, I would rather have all the go. You've obviously not had the pleasure of driving an Evo. As for a BMW 330 or M3; great drives, but more like an executive car, not a rally car.