2002 Mitsubishi Magna Ralliart 3.5L from Australia and New Zealand

Excellant car, would get it again

The only that has gone wrong with the car is the battery once. Just needed to be replaced.

It's the most reliable car in comparison to any car my family, friends and relatives have had.

General Comments:

I bought this car because we had owned a TE Magna Altera for 15 years and it never had problems except for the battery. I can't say that this car has been any different in this respect.

I also needed a comfortable car as I frequently used it for work and had a bad back. Needless to say that the seats fixed any issue I had with my back due their comfort and support.

The car is very fast yet very fuel economical. I have averaged 7.0L per 100km with it. It does climb if you push it hard to 10L per 100km, but it never went higher than that.

Its looks aren't subtle, but are very balanced, I always get compliments about it.

I found it also handled quite well for a FWD car and is a lot of fun to drive. I haven't met another car that could keep up on a twisty mountain road.

I switched the full size spare tyre kit with a tyre sealant and inflator kit, which wiped off 35kg overall due to some of the unnecessary parts like the wooden masonry board.

The sound system is very over the top and I won't be changing it.

The air con has very good air distribution throughout the car.

All up, well worth considering for buyers looking for something reliable, sporty and cheap to run.

Review Date: 14th September, 2015

2002 Mitsubishi Magna LX 3.5 from Australia and New Zealand

Good motor, no regrets

General Comments:

A good solid bus. Comfortable. A lazy big six engine with grunt when you need it.

Cheap to buy and cheap to run. Still going strong as daily transport to work. Serviced regularly, but no other bills, other than standard items. Bought for 5k AUS, so doesn't owe me a thing. Factor in depreciation... or the lack of... and it's probably the best value motor that you can run and not be embarrassed to be seen in.

Review Date: 28th October, 2014

2002 Mitsubishi Magna Ralliart TJ Aspirated V6 from Australia and New Zealand

Best sports car under $10k, sadly no contest

Due to lack of interest in Australia, these only came in SOHC FWD (would love to have seen some of the DOHC AWDs).

Paint colours are 'custom' colours, so it is good to know someone in the trade, since the Evo-inspired bodykit is made of fibreglass and suffers from stone chips.

MMAS sensor makes air intake modification difficult.

Rear spoiler tends to fill up with water (easy to drain).

Ralliart badge fades and crumbles.

Seats take some getting used to.

Can't use mainstream insurers (AAMI, NRMA, etc) as they significantly undervalue the car, making it difficult to buy CTP and insurance from one provider.

General Comments:

Here comes the typical talk, but it's fast... it just is... I was very biased having owned a Forester (XT AWD-T), XR8 Falcon, V8 Statesman, S15, VTEC Prelude, a few other turbo 4/6 cylinders, but none of these gave me the speed nor the adrenaline I get from the Ralliart Magna.

Gave a lot of crap to Magna owners, then I drove one, and I see what all the hype is about.

133kw at the wheels stock; plenty of room for tuning.

2.5" sports exhaust produces an addictive grunt.

Tiptronic gearbox is refined and precise.

Gets 500km/tank around town, 700km/tank on the freeway.

Engineered to such an extent that most services can be done with ease/quickly.

Climate control takes less than 5 minutes from a cold start to reach any desired temperature.

Under 1504kg, which saves around $140 per year in RMS fees (as of April 2013).

Most components are interchangeable from the Mitsubishi range. Everything else is readily available but dirt cheap - everyone should own a Ralliart/VRX/Verada at least once.

Review Date: 31st March, 2013