2002 Mitsubishi Magna Ralliart TJ Aspirated V6 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Best sports car under $10k, sadly no contest

Due to lack of interest in Australia, these only came in SOHC FWD (would love to have seen some of the DOHC AWDs).

Paint colours are 'custom' colours, so it is good to know someone in the trade, since the Evo-inspired bodykit is made of fibreglass and suffers from stone chips.

MMAS sensor makes air intake modification difficult.

Rear spoiler tends to fill up with water (easy to drain).

Ralliart badge fades and crumbles.

Seats take some getting used to.

Can't use mainstream insurers (AAMI, NRMA, etc) as they significantly undervalue the car, making it difficult to buy CTP and insurance from one provider.

General Comments:

Here comes the typical talk, but it's fast... it just is... I was very biased having owned a Forester (XT AWD-T), XR8 Falcon, V8 Statesman, S15, VTEC Prelude, a few other turbo 4/6 cylinders, but none of these gave me the speed nor the adrenaline I get from the Ralliart Magna.

Gave a lot of crap to Magna owners, then I drove one, and I see what all the hype is about.

133kw at the wheels stock; plenty of room for tuning.

2.5" sports exhaust produces an addictive grunt.

Tiptronic gearbox is refined and precise.

Gets 500km/tank around town, 700km/tank on the freeway.

Engineered to such an extent that most services can be done with ease/quickly.

Climate control takes less than 5 minutes from a cold start to reach any desired temperature.

Under 1504kg, which saves around $140 per year in RMS fees (as of April 2013).

Most components are interchangeable from the Mitsubishi range. Everything else is readily available but dirt cheap - everyone should own a Ralliart/VRX/Verada at least once.

Review Date: 31st March, 2013

2002 Mitsubishi Magna Ralliart 3.5 V6 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Very good performance car at a great price

Only had the car for 1000 kilometres.

Nothing has gone wrong.

General Comments:

This is my third Magna. All have been great and reliable cars.

Great performance from the extra power over the standard Magna. The torque steer is not too bad.

Handling is good from the lowered suspension and wider tyres. Need to be a little careful of understeer under power.

The body kit takes some getting used to.

I do find it difficult to get a comfortable relationship between the seat, steering wheel and pedals.

Review Date: 28th July, 2009

2002 Mitsubishi Magna Executive 3.5L from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Wouldn't buy another one of these!

Battery died - not the car's fault.

Engine burning oil - the car requires a major engine overhaul replacing piston rings etc, valve stem seals already replaced, but the problem is still there. The cost is $2,500 (I'm glad it's a company car). Very disappointed as the car was bought with a full service history (ex rep car), and I also had an RACV check.

General Comments:

Usually these cars go forever; however buyers beware to get receipts for servicing to prove it's actually been carried out.

Review Date: 30th May, 2007

9th Feb 2010, 07:32

I got Magna Xi 3.5L in 2005. It was a used one. There is no problem with the engine nor electric parts yet, just minor things. Only thing is the gear valve body that is the pain in the... Even after the overhaul, the problem is still there. Replacing it in Kuwait costs 1500 USD, which is roughly half the price of a used 2002 Magna.

26th Sep 2014, 12:59

I've owned a TJ 3.5 V6 exec for 12 years now. Had it converted to gas with the IMPCO system. It's been a great car to own and it's almost now 250000Ks on the clock... I got it at 21000Ks!

Only recently (last 20000K) did I get a couple of minor oil leaks... fixed simply at my local mechanic and I've had a minor gas seal issue, which was a simple fix by a mechanic who helped me out at short notice (but he did have the car for the day due to his workload).

Repairs have cost less than $500 on the above issues!

Only costs have been a new set of front rotors and pads, plus tyres (on my 4th set now), plus the usual regular service fees, which are according to the handbook. Oh, and a new timing chain and plugs as recommended by the handbook too.

Other than bird poo stuffing up some of the paintwork lately... she's a beauty! Still purrs on the highway and gives absolutely no trouble... starts first time every time!

Considering an updated car... only because I feel like a change, but it seems a shame as it still gives me no trouble at all.

So as for the comment of the bloke with all the troubles above. I reckon the 'company car' had been thrashed from day 1. No wonder he hated his!!

I love mine... just tired of it now and seeking a change.