1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max Pickup 2.0 litre from North America

Summary:

Cheap, solid, reliable - a real bargain

Radiator replaced at 195,000.

Head gasket at 220,000.

Oil sending unit.

Seats worn through after 19 years - go figure.

Smog pipe connected to exhaust manifold broke.

Clutch at 150,000.

Fifth gear is getting noisy.

General Comments:

Solid and rattle free at 235,000.

Economical and fairly easy to work on.

Surprisingly comfortable for a small truck.

1800 pound max load capacity so it handles 1,000 easily.

It cost $5800 new so how could I complain after 20 years!

Review Date: 24th November, 2008

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max SWB 2.0 from North America

Summary:

I love it so much, I hope it lasts forever!

Fuel pump died at 180000 miles. I couldn't find a new mechanical one, so I bought an after-market electric one and ran it through a switch. It actually runs better with the electric. In 82000 miles of driving this car, that is all (outside of the battery and tires) that has ever needed to be replaced.

General Comments:

Not a very comfortable cabin, but I replaced the bench seats with bucket seats from a Honda Accord and that improved it tremendously. I also had to replace the fuel pump with an electric pump since I couldn't find a mechanical one for it like OE. I'm glad I didn't find one, my MPG went through the roof with the electric one. I went from ~20 MPG to almost 30 MPG with just that. I love this truck! I hope it lasts forever.

Review Date: 2nd July, 2007

6th Dec 2012, 00:02

What brand of fuel pump did you use to get 30 MPG?

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max 2.0 from North America

Summary:

Like a buffalo coin, rare!

I bought the truck for 450 bucks from a young kids dad.

Started it and sounded like it was falling apart.

Asked him for a quart of oil, ran like a champ, funny.

Kid had oversize tires, changed them to stock, steering shaking fixed.

Driver side mirror missing, changed for 10 dollars.

Oil change and tune up. runs like champ.

General Comments:

Good transportation no need to upgrade does the job just fine.

Could use better seats, but that is the same with most trucks.

Cannot figure out why this trucks smoke so much? specially during start up and its intermittent.

Not easy to find parts new or used.

Review Date: 21st December, 2005

23rd Jul 2007, 19:43

The smoking is 100 percent due to the Mikuni over engineered carb.

They are almost always past the fail point these days. Do a Weber swap (anyone can accomplish with 4 tools :) ); you will be rewarded with better starts, better MPG and more power.

ANYONE reading this that is thinking of buying one of these jewels... look for one that has the 4.22 gears like mine. I have 5 vehicles with the same basic motor (G54b); 4 Conquests and my beloved 88 macro cab 4x4 with the deluxe equipment package.

Check out www.starquestclub.com. A few of my buddies even have a turbo motor from a Conquest/Starion in their trucks.

The sky's the limits these days... anywhere from 250whp/350wtq to over 500whp can and has been done.

Monty.

7th Apr 2009, 23:33

I've got my Mighty Max. I traded a 99 SL1. I have put a transmission in this truck, and put a 4inch body lift and a 4inch suspension lift, and some 33*12.50*15 buckshots. The truck has not giving me any problems, it is all good, but the seats SUCK.

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max Reg. cab 2.0 Gas from North America

Summary:

Best vehicle my family has ever owned!

Replaced timing belts (about every 80-90K)

Water pump at 170K.

Clutch at 180K.

Carb at ~200K (could have rebuilt)

Timing belt pulley bearing at ~300K (cheap)

Clutch cable rod broke at ~325K (re-welded for about $30)

Used quite a bit of oil on down the road.

For the most part this truck was not very well maintained, my brother and I put thousands and thousands of miles on it and only took action when something went wrong.

General Comments:

Unbelievably reliable, worth every penny plus many more.

Took it to the beach last summer and broke 330,000 miles...didn't bat a lash about driving 4 hours one way.

At 334,000 the head gasket went...

I mistakenly put a synthetic blend oil in and think it loosened some stuff up. Would replace it, but truck is worn out (mostly due to neglect).

Review Date: 24th May, 2004

3rd Aug 2004, 14:58

334 k miles, what a high mileage champ, I have a '94 just turned 81k orig...most relilable truck I've owned.