1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max SWB 2.0 ltr 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

If well cared for, this truck can live forever

Very few problems with this truck. At 250,000 miles, every light, every switch, every accessory still works. The air conditioner still blows very cold. The seat has a very minor tear, but the foam has held up well.

The transmission is starting to growl a bit in first gear.

There is an unknown problem with the carb going VERY rich under certain conditions, causing black smoke. The replacement cost for this carb is about $500.00!

It now has low compression in one cylinder, but still runs reasonably well, but won't pass smog. At a quarter million miles, it could use a rebuild.

General Comments:

This is a great little economy truck, as long as you realize it wasn't a high performance truck in the first place. I think it's 2.0 litre 4 only made 90 or so hp when new.

Review Date: 21st March, 2004

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max 2.0 Gas from North America

Summary:

Nice car nice cost

The exhaust manifold cracked.

The Brake light comes on whenever I accelerate and it only turns off when I get into 5th gear or stop accelerating.

General Comments:

This car gets superb gas mileage if you drive it like a normal driver.

The ride isn't very smooth, but decent.

Slow acceleration, but it can get up to 115 if you want it to.

It can easily haul things without a problem.

There are absolutly NO performance parts for this truck. no one makes any.

This truck has an appearance like none other.

There are very few rims that work well with this truck and no one modifies these trucks, you can bet that if you do soup one of these babies up you are in a class of your own.

Review Date: 11th June, 2003

20th Oct 2004, 14:22

I also own one of these trucks, 150.00 bucks and it was mine. Love it to death 145000 miles and going strong. Putting a clutch in this weekend. Starter and a water pump last year, but nothing too bad. But I wanted to comment on your upgrading idea, because I will be painting it, slapping in a moon-roof, and some oversize American racing rims (the black ones with red and blue pin stripes) just for the ground clearance. It got me through my first Buffalo winter with no problems, and this is the 2.0 2wd 5 speed version! They run forever and and its going to be one flashy work truck, hauls like a pro.

28th Nov 2004, 18:37

Que? Must be in English? Anyway...

I just picked one of these trucks up for a second vehicle. Great little truck. As for modifying them, well, it's a light utility truck, I don't much see th point. However, here are some ideas. It looks like it has the same size cone filter as an Eclipse, so test fit some paper airfilters from a 1st gen and if they fit, order a K&N drop-in. For exhuast, just go to Bubu's muffler shop and get a 2.5 inch system, no cat, with the loudest muffler you can deal with. The 2.4 L. is the same engine they put in the Starion. So, all performance parts should carry over. Try the cam from the non-turbo, maybe you can even find headers for that car. (Though there might be some clearance issues.) The money shot is to install the turbo version of this engine! It should drop right in. Can you say sleeper? Hmmm... Ya know what, maybe I will modify this truck. 12 sec. Mighty Max? Maaaaaaybeeeee... >:)

Tim Wing.

PS: This is all just guessing on my part. I haven't tried anything yet.

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max Short Bed 2.0 litre from North America

Summary:

An awesome looking work horse that never dies

The Radiator hose needed replacement at 150,000 km.

The Thermostat needed replacement at 145,000 km.

The Vacuum advance currently needs replacement.

The Radiator was replaced at 142,000 km.

General Comments:

This very well made truck and the price was right.

Cheap to maintain, if you keep up with regular tune-ups.

Incredibly cheap on gas.

After a fresh coat of paint it is an eye catcher.

Finding parts is difficult and costly, but you never really need to find them.

Review Date: 14th October, 2002

30th Jan 2003, 19:12

It's a great truck. I also own a 1989 Mighty Max. I bought it for 400.00$. It cost me almost that much to register and get insurance. This truck really is great, it has gotten me through two winters and shows no sings of quiting. It had 120,000 miles when I bought it and now has 135,000 K. Thank goodness for this little truck because it saves my sports cars.

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max Pickup 2.0 liter from North America

Summary:

Not a pickup, more like a put down!

I had to buy a rebuilt (rather expensive) carburetor shortly after purchasing this vehicle.

At around 90,000 miles, the transmission quit.

I got 19.7 miles to the gallon. This truck had no traction to speak of, and my 1988 Mercury Tracer had more power!

General Comments:

The truck did have some rust on the bed sides, but overall, it was a rather nice looking truck.

Concerning power, I'd say this pickup is quite puny.

Trying to maintain this monster really picked my pocket dry.

Review Date: 6th August, 2001

2nd Sep 2001, 19:39

1990 was a bad year for the max. The 2-liter automatic was a very weak engine. However in 1991 it was replaced with the very strong 2.4 liter MPFI engine. This engine is almost bulletproof. However the valve seals in these engines go bad and they smoke. Also the lash adjusters for the valves stop up and ticking if you use oil thicker than 10w30. (I found out the hard way) The carburetor on the 2-liters also was bad about having a "dead spot" in the middle of the pedal. I have a 1992 Max and it runs great.