2002 Mitsubishi Montero Reviews

Year of manufacture2002
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 3.5 gasoline Automatic
Previous carMercedes-Benz M-Class

Summary:

Great truck!

I have owned the car for 11,00 miles now, and no problems, just general maintenance.

I just replaced brake pads and rotors for under 200.00, easy DIY job.

I did have an issue with the wheel indicator lights on the dash, that show if the car is in 4wd or 2wd. Not major, I just pulled out the gauge assembly and resat the bulbs at that location, and it all functions now.

General Comments:

I bought this car on a whim after selling my 2006 Lincoln Navigator in one day off of craigslist. I needed something to drive ASAP. I found this beauty sitting at one of those questionable small car dealerships, and was very skeptical in purchasing this vehicle. I knew nothing about Montero's, all I knew is that it was affordable, looked really good, and was something to get me around for the time being. It's an XLS model in Memphis blue.

I acquired the car with 100k miles on it, and now has 111k. I have fallen in love with this car! Love the big oversized sunroof.

I put a little bigger tire on it over stock, to make it a little more aggressive looking. I put Goodyear Wrangler RTS 265/75/16's. It gives it a little higher stance to the Montero over stock size. I love the way the Montero looks, with its bulging fender wells; it's a very unique looking car, and one that you don't see many of.

I have had more compliments on this car, than any other vehicle that I have owned, and I have had some cool cars.

I plan on using it to pull a small Bass boat; the Montero is not outfitted with a hitch, so I have placed an order for the only round tubed design hitch that I could locate made by U-Haul. I ordered a plug and play wiring harness from Reese hitches, and it was easy as pie to install.

I also just installed a double-din sized DVD player up front in the dash. I got a deal on a new old stock Rosen model that has a 10 disc DVD changer option, which I have also purchased, should be a nice little setup. I like the way the Rosen looks in the car, it has a real factory look to it, and matches the lighting in the Montero.

My only complaint about the Montero is probably its highway passing abilities, or the lack there of. The car is a little under powered, but once it gets to cruising speed, it's great, and I just love driving it around town etc.

Review Date: 1st April, 2010

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 3.5 gasoline from North America

Model year2002
Year of manufacture2001
Engine and transmission 3.5 gasoline Automatic
Previous carJeep Cherokee

Summary:

Worst vehicle I have ever owned.. bar none!

Front wheel bearing @ 97,000, and this vehicle has never been used off road or on dirt roads.

Timing belt failed at 99,00 miles.

Serpentine belt, crankshaft pulley, serpentine belt and both idler pulleys at 103,000 miles.

Brake booster at 98,000 miles.

General Comments:

Harsh ride compared to other SUVs and pickups. One would expect a vehicle with independent suspension front and rear to have a better ride.

Engine is underpowered for a 24 valve 3.5 liter engine and unsuited for weight of this vehicle.

Review Date: 27th January, 2010

4th Oct 2010, 00:44

AMEN --- worst piece of junk.

9th Nov 2012, 15:25

Are you serious complaining about a serpentine and timing belts failing at 100k miles? I don't know what the service interval is for those belts, but it is probably far less than 100k miles.

Also, wheel bearing failure at 97k miles is another thing that seems reasonable. Not all vehicles, especially 4WD ones, have lifetime wheel bearings! If you did the proper preventative maintenance, the wheel bearings should be repacked whenever the front brakes were done.

It just seems that you are complaining about issues that should of been avoided if proper preventative maintenance was done. A complex 4WD vehicle is not a Corolla or Civic, which can be driven forever without any care! I have owned Mitsubishi products, and they have always been very reliable and well constructed.

3rd Mar 2014, 19:03

I agree with the previous comment - I believe the timing belt replacement interval is 60,000 miles. The owner then complains that it broke at 99,000 miles?!? Jeez. And I've NEVER had a serpentine belt break on any car that I've EVER owned. Why? Look at it every 8-10,000 miles. Oh, that'll take about 30 seconds out of your life. Almost 100,000 miles from wheel bearings on a 4x4 even if it was never used off-road? Good god, do you realize how much heavier a 4x4 vehicle is? And if you purchase a heavy-duty replacement wheel bearing (don't buy the cheapest one at the parts store), it will then outlast the engine & transmission.

Some people will complain about anything and everything, even if it's not rational.