2002 Mitsubishi Montero Reviews - Page 2 of 2

2002 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 3.5 from North America

Year of manufacture2002
Previous carMitsubishi Tahoe

Summary:

Poor quality, poor dealership performance

Brakes!!! I have had the brakes replaced in 6000 mile intervals. This includes the replacement of the front rotors. Rear brakes have not been replaced yet and do not appear to be operating correctly. Have had 5 sets of front rotors installed before 50K miles. Just installed Brembo rotors, they are holding up well.

Also, rear suspension bottoms out when more than 2 people are in vehicle. Dealer installed rubber bumpers in coil spring to eliminate frame from coming in contact with rear suspension linkage, but has not fixed the problem. No aftermarket springs are available at this time.

General Comments:

Power train has been very good with good performance and exceptional mpg.

Review Date: 27th June, 2004

10th Jun 2005, 02:20

I also have a 2002 Montero Sport and go through front brake pads like crazy. The fist couple of times, I did the work myself, but then took it to a shop where lifetime replacements are part of their service agreement. The extra money spent upfront has more than paid for itself.

I fixed the "bottoming-out" problem by putting more durable ride control shocks on the rear replacing the factory ones, again at the same shop.

My Montero has been a great ride and a blast to drive both on road and off. My wife is the lucky one because she gets to drive it everyday.

2002 Mitsubishi Montero Limited 3.5L V6 from North America

Year of manufacture2002
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 3.5L V6 Automatic
Previous carFord Expedition

Summary:

I bought a lemon

Brakes have started to make a noise.

Engine vibrates. The RPM goes down, and car feels like it will stall, however it does not stall. Mitsubishi representatives have told me that they can't find the problem, and are calling it normal for that car. And they are not looking for a solution.

General Comments:

The styling is great, and car handles fine.

Seats are uncomfortable.

Review Date: 7th March, 2003

25th Oct 2007, 21:41

I have a 2002. I've had a similar problem. While sitting at a red light the engine would stumble. Despite the cost of gas I started using premium in it and the stumble has stopped and I get better gas mileage.

4th Jan 2009, 08:58

I've had the same issue with my 2002. The stumble happened randomly while idling, and once when driving on vacation it stumbled while the cruise control was on. I had the cruise set at 65, and I accelerated to pass a truck and it stumbled bad. Because gas was so high, I was using cheaper gas I believe this was the problem. I have since changed my plugs and wires, and started using premium gas. The stumble was seemed to clear up a bit.

4th Jan 2009, 10:15