1996 Mitsubishi Shogun Review

Year of manufacture1996
Engine and transmission 2.8 turbo diesel Automatic
Most recent distance119000 miles
Previous carHonda Aerodeck

Summary:

A beast of a motor

Nothing has gone wrong with the car except one thing, and that I think is common amongst 2.8 TD M's engine, and that is the dreaded fuel pump seals.

Other than general service, 130 pounds was spent on the exhaust.

General Comments:

The ride can be a bit bumpy, but it is a motor with a high centre of gravity, this tends to throw you about a bit going a bit quick into a road.

It has good performance. The turbo helps in a big way.

The interior is set for practicality; if you want luxury, then maybe an Pajero Exceed would be for you.

Can be a bit juicy if you floor it; my one does 17mpg, but I suppose the fuel pump maybe causing that.. the only motor I'd swap for this is the higher spec Exceed or a Mercedes 420 SEL...

If you really really need one, buy it, it won't disappoint you, but watch out for the pump seals though, eventually they can bugger you, and at £500 to cure the issue, it is a hard buggering.

Review Date: 29th September, 2009

4th Sep 2012, 12:59

I wrote the original review in 2009, and now three years later I am still enjoying the machine, and it has not let me down.

I had the pump seal done, which as stated before is a common problem on the 2.8 TD engine. Other than that, not a penny; it sails through the MoTs with no problems cited, and does 20 MPG with easy driving.

I love it, my kids love it too, and will not allow me to sell it for something economical. However after much looking at cars and reading Carsurvey.org reviews, I have decided on a 2001 80k miler Shogun, and once I get my hands on it, I hope it will give me the same pleasure as the one I have now.

Average review marks: 8.3 / 10, based on 1 review