Mitsubishi Shogun Pinin Reviews - Page 2 of 3

2001 Mitsubishi Shogun Pinin equipe 2.0 GDI from UK and Ireland

Model year2001
Engine and transmission 2.0 GDI Automatic
Previous carVauxhall Vectra

Summary:

Nice apart from the mechanical problems

Brakes pads wearing out quickly.

First lot of pads from new lasted 17,500 miles before renewal needed.

The next set only last 5,000 miles!These were changed at the dealers expense.

The next set only 7,000 miles. At this stage the dealer investigate further, but couldn't find anything wrong... suggested I drive with the brakes on!!! I would have to pay for the brakes to be changed.

I have now taken the car away from main dealers and have had the last set of brakes pads changed by an independent garage. When I have done a further 7,000 miles we shall see if the main dealer is using inferior parts or not.

Mitsubisi Customer Services have been made aware of the problem and opened a case on the vehicle. I will report back to them at the next 7,000 mile brake check.

General Comments:

It's not a quick vehicle, but I like it, except the problems I have had of wheel bearings going, brake pads wearing out so quickly, exhaust being altered and poor fuel economy (24 miles per gallon at best).

I find the car easy to drive and being small reversing is easy for me as I have good vision.

Good in the snow and ice, but find it slides in the wet if not put into 4 wheel drive. Tows the large caravan we own well without drop in miles per gallon most of the time.

Review Date: 10th October, 2004

2001 Mitsubishi Shogun Pinin 2.0 from Turkey

Model year2001
Most recent distance12000 kilometres
Previous carVolkswagen Polo

Summary:

Undependable

Wheels of my Pajero Pinin (called Shogun Pinin in some countries, it has 2.0lt petrol engine) started rusting in three months.

The car broke down two times. It has only 12,000 km.

Gas pedal broke down at 8,000 km.

The second time it broke down was last week, the dealer said they have encountered the same problem on five or six different models of Mitsubishi. They talked about a magnet of something called "gas butterfly" being displaced or broken. Mitsubishi is said to have accepted the fault on vehicles produced in previous years, but mine was a later version. Instead of a costly repair (of over $2,000), the shop had to glue mine and they said they never encountered the same problem on other ones that they fixed this way (I just paid a few bucks). Doesn't sound much dependable does it? I wonder how this car managed to win the Dakar as they mention in the ads.

Interior plastics look kind of cheap.

Air conditioner does not really cool the car of such small size that much.

The catalog said it had a rear spoiler, mine never had it.

I had to take it to the shop after having a flat tire because I could not screw the spare tire back in once I removed it.

General Comments:

I really liked the car when I bought it. I preferred it due to its compact size and off-road capability. I live on a hill that Toyota Rav4, Honda CRV and Nissan Xtrails sometimes fail when there is a lot of snow, but I never had any problems with its off-road performance at all. Its compact size is a plus in driving or parking in the city. But it is not a comfy car.

I have driven two-door cars before, but I never thought trying to climb up to the back seat would be that much difficult. This time I am considering a dependable four-door SUV.

Review Date: 21st September, 2004

2001 Mitsubishi Shogun Pinin equippe 1.8 gdi from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.8 gdi Manual
Previous carJeep Cherokee

Summary:

High priced new. low resale value

Reliable? yes. but that's all its got going for it.

Needs servicing every 5000 miles.

Needs petrol every 60 miles with a ten pound note along with it.

The most uncomfortable car you are every likely to drive.

General Comments:

Usual Mitsibushi engineering. reliable starts first time etc etc.

I would describe this car as a tar-dis in reverse. (looks big from outside, but no room at all when you get inside) and I mean NO ROOM.

This car cost me to buy in 2001 £ 13500.00.

This car attracted the handsome trade in price in 2003 (two years later) £ 6000.00 now I know cars depreciate as soon as you get them, BUT.

Very costly to keep this car with a service needing done every 5000 miles.

Good four wheel drive? only when you look at it from outside, as it looks good and like a proper 4x4 should look.

Get inside and it is a very different story.

You feel EVERY bump, and that's even on a flat pot-hole free road.

The only words I feel sum up this car are (wee pretend jeep)

Buy one if you really like its looks etc.

But don't say you haven't been informed.

Review Date: 1st February, 2004

17th Feb 2004, 14:05

I disagree with your comments, I find my pinin reliable and economical. I have owned it over a year now and never had trouble with it. Pinin's don't need servicing every 5000 miles. I have run up 20,000 around the uk last year and serviced it once. I have enjoyed my pinin so much I have traded it in at no loss, and bought another one, a little newer. Well done Mitsubishi for such a compact and reliable car.

9th May 2004, 08:58

Servicing is 9000 miles or 12 months - and they don't voluntarily stamp the book to say you've had the bodywork inspected to keep the warranty going.

Dan Coed.

15th Jun 2007, 11:45

I agree with you have just bought 1 and is the bumpiest ride ever and is drinking the juice. The engine sounds like a tractor when you put your foot down and my mileage left doesn't show up on computer am thinking of selling due to petrol consumption.

22nd Nov 2007, 20:07

My Pinin is great, comfortable ride, currently getting 30 MPG (mainly motorways) VERY capable off road.

Used to own an X-Trail, Pinin is much better off road with a real transfer box.

Thoroughly recommended!

9th Apr 2009, 03:53

Bought my Pinin Vivo 11 auto in 2001 with 5500 miles on clock for £13000 being 6 months old. 8 years later, true with only 35000 miles on clock, it's sufferings its first signs of age, exhaust failure. Careful driving returns 32mpg. Even the battery is original. Says it all really.

10th Oct 2009, 10:25

I have read the reviews on this car and I need to say I am shocked. I have had my 01 plate Pinin since March, changed from a Merc C200, and I am very impressed. Not sure these people are driving the same car.

11th Mar 2010, 08:08

Just bought 2001 Pinin 1.8 GDI (Y plate, 76k miles, 1400 pounds) & driven 1500 miles from UK to Spain. Achieved 35 mpg fully laden. Performs very well on muddy, uneven track to our villa. Very happy with it!

4th Feb 2011, 05:21

You consider a bumpy ride on tarmac as a sign of a bad off-roader? It is bumpy because it is meant to be driven in rough areas, a stiff ride is better off-road. My Pinin is more than capable of keeping up with any 4x4 in the mud.