1994 Morris Mini mayfair 1.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

My Mini has restored my enthusiasm for driving and brought all the fun back

Just fitted a new rear subframe and the factory-fitted exhaust has been exchanged for a stainless steel system.

General Comments:

I bought the car knowing it needed two front wings and a front panel and this was reflected in the price. It was a one-lady owner and had very low mileage.

I had her converted to a rag-top professionally and they did a superb job. Over 60 feet of welding go into the body strengthening, but the extra metal is unobtrusive even though the car now weighs over 28 lbs more than she did as a saloon. I was furnished with a four-page engineer's report that detailed all the work done and stated it was done to a vey high standard.

Inside the car I have a walnut dash, steering wheel, door cappings, gear knob, handbrake and door furniture. Of course, being a Mini, I have a mini-bar fitted in the glove box.

Outside all the black has been replaced with stainless steel including wheel arches. The stainless steel and silver paintwork is complemented by the black hood. The hood is only up at MOT time when my wimp of a mechanic collects it for its service and test. The remainder of the time it nestles under the hood bag and the interior is protected by a tonneau.

On the road the Mini has impeccable manners and the handling is outstanding. She loves to be driven and responds to adverse road conditions favourably. The bog standard 1000cc engine is very economical, but if the exhaust ever wears out I intend to go for a stage one tune up which will give me extre power, even better fuel consumption without affecting my insurance premiums. Seat adjusters give me another few inches legroom and I find the car very comfortable to drive - even over long distances. Buzzing down the country lanes on a summer's evening with the top down has to be experienced.

Review Date: 30th April, 2006

1970 Morris Mini K 1.1 from Australia and New Zealand

Water pump sprung a leak, replaced for AU $70.

Gearbox overhauled.

General Comments:

This car is so much fun! forget about how unreliable it is, remember it is a 36 year old car and handles so much better then you will get out of any modern car! Its all about the fun factor in this car!

Review Date: 26th February, 2006

1967 Morris Mini Cooper S 1.3 petrol from UK and Ireland

Excellent ride and handling let down by a cramped interior

Windscreen wipers stopped working after 55,000 miles. Had a new pair fitted at my local garage.

Clutch plate broke after 63,000 miles. Had a new clutch plate fitted by the local garage.

General Comments:

This car drove like a dream despite being cramped and having next to no luggage space.

Review Date: 7th October, 2005

9th Oct 2005, 20:03

Well, errr, no interior space? Cmon when your car is less than half your height your asking for trouble lol.

31st Mar 2006, 06:38

I've got a 1965 mini and I love it, but you got to remember its like a four seater sports car, its not a real family car (even though original adds said otherwise!) So if you want luggage space buy an SUV, but then you don't get the cheap thrills of a 1275 mini, it's a compromise.

31st Mar 2006, 10:42

I don't understand. I'm 6'2" and sat in a 1971 Mini at an autoshow and fit fine. Yes it doesn't have great luggage space, but that's not its purpose as the above poster states.

27th Jan 2009, 12:55

My uncle got so fed up of the lack of space in his 1969 cooper he had it shoved in a 10,000,000 pound press and crushed.

1961 Morris Mini 998 998CC 4 cylinder from South Africa

Good runner

Replaced the fuel pump

Replaced the alternator

Replace the fuel line

Redo wiring.

Redo the brakes.

Replace temp sensor.

General Comments:

Good runner for a 43year old car.

No leg room

No features, all basic.

Good fuel economy, but heavy on oil.

Always problems with brakes.

Body work needed, but not a lot of rust.

No dents on the body, this car is as hard as a rock.

It's got a good engine, still running after 43 years and 352000 miles.

Review Date: 17th November, 2004