1966 Morris Mini Bogus Cooper 1.3 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Totally Mental

Hydrolastic suspension collapsed, replaced with dry and all tuning gear. Engine was screwed, but hey it's really old and it needed uprating.

General Comments:

Old minis are the most fun you can have on wheels STILL.

Tuning parts are cheap.

You can go as fast around a corner as you can in a straight line.

They are sods to work on.

It's worth the hassle.

Everyone loves them.

Once you've owned one, you will always want/own one.

Review Date: 10th May, 2004

1969 Morris Mini 1100 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

FUN

Distributor and coil got wet in rain, had to have cover made.

Wheel bearings rumbling and replaced.

Wiring caught fire.

Stolen...burnt out ignition and wore out brakes.

Broken tooth on fly wheel.

Choke didn't work from inside the car.

Inhibitor switch worked spasmodically .

I am surprised they were able to steal this car... to start it, I used to have to get under the bonnet, turn the fly wheel and manually pull the choke out, get in, hold my mout right when turning the key, rev the guts out of it, wait till it warmed up and then get out and put the choke back in, shut the bonnet, check the skies for rain... and then I could go wherever it was I wanted to go...

The NRMA people new me by name :)

General Comments:

Fun to drive when it wasn't raining:)

Could park anywhere.

The semi- auto meant I could change down gear going up hills before the auto kicked in.

Even though I had so many problems, it was a good, fun car to drive and one day I would love to buy another one.

Review Date: 1st January, 2004

20th Jan 2005, 15:39

My Father owned a Morris Mini 1100 K which he brought when the car was 2/3 years old. What a great little car it was. He sold it in 1983 for 800 dollars. He had no trouble with it.Regards, Robert.

21st Feb 2008, 00:23

A nice car, that's true. I own a 1100 Special. It's like a kart to drive.

Alfonzo.

20th Mar 2010, 04:10

I just restored a Mini K for a guy, and I'm a Mini fan :) They're a good Mini if you cannot come up with the $ for a Cooper S. Being 1098 cc, they have good power for the age of car, and the ride is good with the hydrolastic suspension.

A good condition mini that well maintained is well worth it.

Note the buyer must remember this is a 1960's car that's now over 30 years old :) If you keep that in mind, you should be OK.

1977 Morris Mini Clubman 1.0 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

It's a Mini, what else needs to be said!

Leaked a lot of oil when purchased.

Replaced gearbox, fitted cooper head, High lift rockers, performance intake and exhaust manifolds, cooper exhaust, fast road cam and high flow air filter.

The engine was rebuilt with all new gaskets and new rod change seal from Mini spares.

General Comments:

This car is very quick for a 1000cc Mini.

The change in carburettor needle has meant that it uses a lot more fuel than standard, but the car is now a lot more enjoyable to drive.

A stereo would be nice.

Review Date: 15th September, 2003

15th Oct 2003, 05:12

I have a Leyland clubman from 1972, I fully customised it myself including paint and interior. My point is if your car is a 1977 then it can't be a Morris, it must be a Leyland.

1964 Morris Mini Saloon 848cc A-series from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A low-cost inner-city runabout with classic appeal

Nothing.

General Comments:

All things considered, the Morris Mini is pretty indestructible. Having said this however, I'm assuming you'll keep up to date with the required maintenance. More importantly I stress that you remember to lubricate the suspension components and change the engine oil on a regular basis.

The 850cc Mini represents excellent value for money with running costs that won't break the bank. A little slow off the mark, but hey, what's the rush?

Review Date: 3rd November, 2002