2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL Sedan 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

A perfect car to recommend to anyone who isn't an enthusiast

Air pressure monitor valve stems. All four at different times in cold weather. Nissan has a problem with them, however the dealer acts as if it is the first time they've heard of it.

The only reason I got the scoop was from our commercial tire dealer (who services our fleet lease of 8 vehicles), who told me of a problem with the valve stem cracking with Nissans. They had seen a ton of them, whereas GM and Ford use plastic that isn't as sensitive.

My dealer refused to replace all four after I had a deflation overnight at home, after I told him what my tire guy stated. Jerks let me have 3 more on cold mornings because of their warranty policy. Hope it happens to them someday.

Other than that, a couple of bars in the rear defroster never worked from new (they won't replace it) and it is weak.

Rotors needed to be turned at 25k.

No other problems.

General Comments:

I am a car guy (owned Bims, Porsches, Saabs, TR8s, Alfa 75 3.0,DS etc.) and this is a company vehicle. I selected it from 4 options and generally I'm quite pleased.

No problems at all, and on the highway it gets incredible gas mileage, I top the 75 litre tank and got over 800 kms many times. Phenomenal mpg.

The engine noise when accelerating isn't pleasant (it's a groaner, like an old Volvo) although it isn't slow for a four, and the CVT automatic trans feels like a rubber band at times under hard acceleration. The manual shift up-down option is easy to use, but I have a feeling extended regular use would result in problems.

The seats look great, but aren't exactly models of comfort on long trips. It handles oddly when pressed (I have stock Michelins - not the Contis) and it doesn't make me feel confident when I'm pushing it into a fast turn, it gives mixed signals.

In short, it is a nice, extremely reliable vehicle that hasn't given me any problems over 35k. Great for those who value mileage and longevity over balanced handling and road feel. Love the fake dual exhausts.

Review Date: 28th October, 2009

30th Nov 2009, 11:49

Why fake dual exhaust? It does use both sides for exhaust gases, so how is that fake?

25th Apr 2010, 06:59

They are great looking but fake. 'Real' dual exhausts are split from the engine all the way through the underside of the car. This isn't the case for the Altima, the exhaust system has a single manifold (due to the engine design, it isn't a V4), it splits into two pipes towards the rear of the car. It isn't for performance gain, it's for aesthetics (and they do save the cost of a separate rear bumper cover for the 3.5). You're right, the second exhaust also expels fumes, but it isn't necessary. If you check the four cylinder 02-06 Altimas, there is one exhaust pipe, split at the tailpipe and it has the same hp rating as the later models.

2nd Jun 2010, 07:57

I wouldn't call a brand new car with those kinds of problems "extremely reliable." I mean, my 1994 Crown Victoria has almost 200,000 miles on it and all I ever had to do was replace the transmission once. Not a single other part failure of any kind with all these miles.

Conclusion: Nissan is overrated junk!

28th Oct 2010, 23:43

I have the Altima 2.5 SL. It is a really nice car. Excellent gas mileage, and it looks beautiful.

Handles easily around trucks on the freeway, which is where I do most of my driving.

As for comparing it to an old 1990's American car? Well, lets see, my Bonneville engine blew up. My son's Saturn has 60,000 miles, and we have had to put over 2,000 dollars into it. The air was completely broken. Now THAT IS JUNK.

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2.5 I4 from North America

Summary:

Fast, sporty and reliable!

So far nothing went wrong with the car. The car is absolute gem.

General Comments:

The Altima competes with the likes of Accord, Camry and Mazda6.

Buy an Altima if you are mainly looking for:

1) Driving dynamics, it has the sportiest handling in its segment.

2) Looks, it looks much sportier than the Accord and Camry.

3) Sheer acceleration, the Altima is a dream while accelerating from 0-60mph! No other car can come even near its performance.

4) Minimum body roll, it gives a sense of confidence while taking high speed turns!

5) Leg room, the Altima has the best leg room compared to the Accord and Mazda!

Don't buy this car if your main criteria is:

1) High mileage, though my Altima does give me 32mpg on highway.

2) Sheer comfort, Camry has the softest suspension, hence provides most comfort ride.

3) Even the slightest wind/engine noise bothers you. The Altima though is very quiet, but strong winds and while accelerating does produce a little noise.

4) Interior dash layout is not the best (Accord has best the interior).

Review Date: 3rd May, 2009

11th Jun 2009, 17:11

That was a nice set of pro's and con's. How about dropping some actual figures?

8th Jul 2009, 12:34

@Above guy:

What numbers do you want? (I am the writer of original review). Till now I have completed nearly 10K miles since I bought it in Jan 2009. So far absolutely no problems at all.

- Car gives around 20/31 gas mileage.

- Tank is 19 gallons in size, pretty good for 500+ miles highway journey.

- 0-60 about mid 7 seconds. (Accord & Camry runs into mid 8 seconds range).

- Very stable even in strong winds in highway journeys.

- Excellent AC, cools the whole car in matter of 1-2 minutes! Good for places where summers are really bad... like Kansas City :)

- Lower center of gravity, providing minimum body roll on high speed turns. And car tires grip the road and never let it go. (unlike Pontiac G6 whose stock rear tires skid/drift; good fun but dangerous when it rains).

Runs smoothly, I have driven 2009 Accord and Camry (my friend's) and so far I really like Altima's acceleration. Of course both Accord and Camry are quieter inside (only by a small margin).

Bottom line, it is a very good reliable car for those who want practicality of family sedan, but also a little fun in driving dynamics.