2004 Nissan Murano LX from North America

Summary:

Nice ride, but costly repairs

Rear door latch failed.

CVT started having issues 80,000 miles.

Transfer case broke at 75,000 miles.

Driver side headlight went out at 67,000 miles.

Rear-differential was about to break (discovered during transfer case damage) and was replaced.

General Comments:

I would not purchase another 1st gen CVT from Nissan. Though I'll admit the transfer case breaking was my fault (for having AWD on in the winter while driving on snow), the fact that the CVT was starting to go even though I had kept all the fluids changed regularly and kept it up to date on maintenance was the last straw. If you're looking at a 1st gen CVT, I would avoid it as the problems weren't fixed until the most recent generation.

Following that, the dealers I went to were awful and Nissan parts were outrageous. $200 to replace a lightbulb (eventhough it was the ballast and not the bulb that was the issue) and then another $400 to replace the ballast. Had they tested the bulb first, I wouldn't have had to pay for a new one.

Review Date: 19th January, 2010

2004 Nissan Murano SL from North America

Summary:

Do not buy one

Approx 20,000 miles - new alternator (subsequently recalled)

Approx 25,000 miles - grille replaced due to peeling.

Approx 30,000 miles - 2 recalls. One for seat belt and one to add a piece of plastic to protect gas tank. This plastic piece hangs down to low and has already broken once. We had to pay for the repair.

38,2000 miles - fan failed which caused radiator to over heat and melt a whole in the radiator. We had absolutely no warning until it began leaking radiator fluid. We just paid almost $2000 dollars to have this repaired since the car is 2,200 miles over warranty. No we didn't buy the extended warranty as we assumed a high end car was actually a high end car.

General Comments:

This car was poor constructed. The interior started showing wear after the first 2 months. We have had nothing, but problems with this car.

Review Date: 15th May, 2007

20th May 2007, 01:28

How the heck does it cost $2000 parts and labor for a radiator.

15th Nov 2007, 00:12

I was looking at one of these to buy... Guess I'll buy a dictionary instead.

9th Sep 2010, 15:09

It's a good car with a perfect look. I really love this car. I've had it since 2008; nothing really big to worry about, only the gas cup, which one time got stuck in, and I had to mess it up to avoid future issues.

Gas is not that bad, because you have to understand the car you're driving.

Price perfect.

Overall rate it 8/10.

Keep it up Nissan.

2004 Nissan Murano SL 3.5L V6 from North America

Summary:

Nissan has done an EXCEPTIONAL job

Power mirrors failed twice, but was fixed under warranty.

Recall for alternator which shorted the battery.

One of the keys to it broke (our fault) thus causing the car not to start because of the transponder chip (fixed under the warranty, but had to push them).

General Comments:

It is an absolute winner against the boring looking Highlander and Pilot.

It is kind of sluggish so it drives like a tank, but at least you know you are safe.

Rides kind of rough because of the 18" Wheels so if you buy one get the one with the smaller wheels.

6 disc CD player doesn't like burnt discs because of the thickness of some of them, also in cold weather the CD player will skip a little, but dealer said this is normal.

Very Comfortable, we love the heated seats!

I love the curves of this car and how the grille "grins" at you.

I could do with a few less doodads of this car, just more things that can go wrong.

Review Date: 13th February, 2007

2004 Nissan Murano SE from North America

Summary:

I would not buy another one

Front door locks intermittenly when you get out.

Brakes squeals when backing up, Nissan says this is normal.

General Comments:

Nice car, but brake squeal is annoying and refusal of Nissan to recognize it as a fault by saying it is normal.

Review Date: 29th December, 2006

15th Aug 2007, 07:05

The front door lock timing can be changed within your option menu on the screen. It will have options for how long you want to leave the car unlocked before it will automatically lock the doors. The car has to be in park for you to get into the menu. It is pretty straightforward.